do different hop strains yield different beginning bines/leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmomma

Reaction score
Recently I transplanted some willamette and chinook from a friends yard into my own. Now bines are beginning to sprout and leaf out. My willamette has the leaves with the three points and the asparagus new shoot look. My chinook has single point leaves and lacks the asparagus look. Is this normal? Refer to pictures.

hopmomma said:
Recently I transplanted some willamette and chinook from a friends yard into my own. Now bines are beginning to sprout and leaf out. My willamette has the leaves with the three points and the asparagus new shoot look. My chinook has single point leaves and lacks the asparagus look. Is this normal? Refer to pictures.

Here's the pics

ForumRunner_20110905_132225.jpg

ForumRunner_20110905_132252.jpg

All normal - more mature plants put out more lobes. Some varieties (like Cascade) will put out single lobe leaves longer than others.. no worries!

Jagdad said:
All normal - more mature plants put out more lobes. Some varieties (like Cascade) will put out single lobe leaves longer than others.. no worries!

Thanks so much! I'm amazed at how well the willamette is doing vs. the chinook considering my friends chinook is coneing and his willamette isn't and both are well established. But not cared for well. Appreciate your feedback.

Different hop varieties have different characteristics and I constantly stress to the guys I hang out with to stop comparing leaf, cone, height, yields of different plants. Within a variety, sure nit-pick. But between variety, relax- have a home brew.

The true trick, and this will take time, is to learn what your specific variety should look like and spot when it's not right. That's how you solve issues before they get out of hand. Having said, hops are survivors and the less I mess with my plants the less messed up they become.

Mulch, compost, water. You'll be fine

Retrofit said:
Different hop varieties have different characteristics and I constantly stress to the guys I hang out with to stop comparing leaf, cone, height, yields of different plants. Within a variety, sure nit-pick. But between variety, relax- have a home brew.

The true trick, and this will take time, is to learn what your specific variety should look like and spot when it's not right. That's how you solve issues before they get out of hand. Having said, hops are survivors and the less I mess with my plants the less messed up they become.

Mulch, compost, water. You'll be fine

Great advice. Thanks!

It's late in the year, but my Chinook always out produces my Willamette. So see what happens next year. Your 'runt' might become your primary producer!

And on that topic some taste good and some taste terrible. My observation is the mid and low alphas are edible but the high- say chinook is to bitter to eat

I remember enjoying mt hood but spitting chinook out and brushing my teeth.

And on that topic some taste good and some taste terrible. My observation is the mid and low alphas are edible but the high- say chinook is to bitter to eat

I remember enjoying mt hood but spitting chinook out and brushing my teeth.

Haha ya, the younger they are, the less bitter. The lower the AA% the better. I find cascades to be ok, but next year when they come up as older plants, I am wondering how they will fair!

Back