Do all keezers have rust problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
So I've now had two old chest freezers both die on me after rusting out terribly over the course of 1-2 years (each).

Is this inevitable? Do I need to find a kegerator that uses stainless steel on the inside?

I thought most of them had aluminum interiors? When I eventually build my keezer, I'm planning to thoroughly coat the interior with a few coats of flex seal white spray sealant then line the floor with corrugated polypropylene sheet (yard sign material) to avoid scratching.

No rust here, but we are pretty low humidity year-round and no salt in the air. Do you have any kind of desiccant in there or fan to keep air moving?

I've built two keezers, the first from a well-used freezer and the second brand new, and the liners on both were mild steel coated with standard white appliance paint.
Both developed rust spots on the floor attributable to condensation that needed attention, but that wasn't the cause of death of the first unit - I suspect that one grew a hole in the evaporator as I believe the tubing was likely steel as well...

Cheers!

Mine is still going strong after 5 years and no rust spots. I keep three evadry dehumidifiers in it.

Mine, which is a Kenmore bought new in 2013, has rust spots only where a keg touches the side of the freezer.

So what I'm hearing is condensation is the enemy, and freezers are prone to it as they don't have dehumidification cycles like fridges?

my only kezzer I built in 1996 was a new freezer...I had the same fears after seeing all the condensation and no drain...

my solution was some of that auto undercoasting spray (bed liner didn't really exist yet)...well big mistake since it never cured and was a pain getting out...

I say treat the rust with naval Kelly/ospho/vinegar/whtever and then coat with bedliner spray

I recently added a small mini dehumidifier inside one of my freezer Keezer...a small electric one from amazon for about $20...

the freezer is running about 55 in a humid south texas garage for keg conditioning....I no longer have any water/moisture inside the freezer

My current keezer is six years old this December. This is what the bottom looked like last week - after I had stripped out all of the silicone caulk in the panel breaks:

keezer_overhaul_01.jpg

This is what it looks like today - before I re-caulk everything. A long process that started with orbital sanding, angle-grinder flap-disking, wire cup brushing, rust conversion and etching using 25% phosphoric acid, final sanding, then priming and finally two whole spray cans of epoxy top coating.

keezer_overhaul_14.jpg

More work than I had anticipated. If it happens again I think I'll just slap a tight fitting piece of SS sheet metal down there and caulk it to the sidewalls...

Cheers!

I'm building my keezer now, and before I start using it I'd like to apply a tough spray-on truck bed liner in the bottom and a couple inches up the side walls. My only concern is whether or not there are cooling coils under the floor that might be made less efficient by a thicker coating. Also considering flex seal.

Also considering flex seal.
I've used Flex Seal on my evaporative cooler and it remains rubbery even after it dries. When I pull out the pump at the end of the summer, it leaves an indent behind in the 'paint'. A heavy keg would probably be even worse.

My first keezer build back in 96 I sprayed automotive undercoating inside a brand new freezer....that stuff never fully cures...I also sprayed the trunk of my 914 Porsche with it...big mistake on both accounts...it was a PITA getting it out.

That flex seal looks interesting...

I just did Raptor Liner on my jeep....its a 2 part liner (resin & hardener). I think much stronger than those one part cans that are ready to use. I would go that route if doing a bedliner.

The inside of mine is aluminum so it hasn't been an issue. I also have eva-dry dehumidifiers and raised floor built of wire shelving and painted scraps of pressure treated wood.

I've noticed many of the newer ones appear to be some kinda silver foil inside. Aluminum I would guess. A lot of the used ones like that I've come across seem to get punctures inside...but I guess at least they won't rust.

Both mine are older freezers that have the hump in one corner instead of all the way across one side. Gets me an extra keg on the floor.

but mine is also steel...so I sand, treat, paint to keep it alive...

I've noticed many of the newer ones appear to be some kinda silver foil inside. Aluminum I would guess. A lot of the used ones like that I've come across seem to get punctures inside...but I guess at least they won't rust.

Both mine are older freezers that have the hump in one corner instead of all the way across one side. Gets me an extra keg on the floor.

but mine is also steel...so I sand, treat, paint to keep it alive...
Mine is a thin textured aluminum, I was hoping to hang the dehumidifier and air distributor with magnets, but.....aluminum. I also had a co2 tank fall on it's side and it did puncture the lining. I patched it with marine epoxy.

Does that wee machine have an internal fan?

I've looked at small active units like that but they advise a much warmer temperature range than 36°F.
That particular model states " Before using the small dehumidiifer, please check whether the environmental humidity and temperature have met basic requirements, temperature 59-86°F, relative humidity ≥60%".

I haven't read of more than a couple of folks that are using these so far but don't know how well they've worked out for them - and whether they significantly increase compressor cycling or run time (the waste heat has to go somewhere)...

Cheers!

Whirlpool. Most brands are made bu just 3 or 4 companies.

Dehumidifier has a fan. Amazon or eBay. My freezers run at 40 and 55/60 for cellaring ale and lager

I specifically look for older freezers that have the corner hump. It’s nice being able too drop an extra keg in and not have wasted space
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6547.JPG
IMG_6548.JPG

5cu class danby holds 3 kegs or 2 and a 20# bottle

7cf class whirlpool holds 5 kegs plus a 20# on the floor. 6 kegs and a 20# but it’s very tight

Back