DMS/Diacetyl Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helloworld

Reaction score
I've heard from two people now that DMS causes diacetyl. Where are people getting this idea from? Diacetyl is a bi-product of fermentation, so I don't understand why people associate it with DMS. Has anyone else heard this?

Yeah somebody on reddit got this confused the other day, too. Both have precursors, maybe that's the confusion?

DMS and Diacetyl are totally unrelated compounds..DMS is a compound which has a corn flavor..the precursor to DMS is SMM(S-Methyl Methionine) which is in lighty kilned malts..DMS is volatile so it leaves the wort during the boil...Diacetyl on the other hand is a natural compound produced by yeast during fermentation the precursor is alpha acetolactate which leaks out of the yeast cell and oxidized into diacetyl..again two seperate unrelated compounds..correct me if im wrong anyone

DMS and Diacetyl are totally unrelated compounds..DMS is a compound which has a corn flavor..the precursor to DMS is SMM(S-Methyl Methionine) which is in lighty kilned malts..DMS is volatile so it leaves the wort during the boil...Diacetyl on the other hand is a natural compound produced by yeast during fermentation the precursor is alpha acetolactate which leaks out of the yeast cell and oxidized into diacetyl..again two seperate unrelated compounds..correct me if im wrong anyone

You're not wrong, the whole point of this short thread is that some people seem to think they are related.

Latest posts

Back