DME vs. Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I've created my first recipe for a 5 gallon American Amber Ale. I've bought 6 lbs of Amber DME, and after putting all the ingredients into the BrewBuilder in the vendor's showcase, my OG, FG, SRM, ABV, and IBU are all on point to what they "should" be for the most part. However, I forgot to account for priming sugar...

So my questions is this. I bought 6 lb DME and 3/4 cup priming sugar. If I use the 6 lb of DME as per my recipe, will adding an additional 3/4 cup of priming sugar increase the beers ABV and decrease the FG? Or will it mostly just carbonate the bottles?
Or should I use 5 lb and 1/4 cup DME for the initial fermentation and then use 3/4 cup of DME to condition the bottles, if I want my recipe to stay how I planned it out?

I hope this makes sense.

Hm that might be too much. My ABV is already about 6.5%, with the "ideal" amount being around 6.2 so my brew will be hitting 6.7 or 6.8 which I guess isn't such a tragic thing :p

So what would you suggest though? Or does it not really matter

Back