DME vs Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite75

Reaction score
I've read on some websites and books that you can use dme instead of corn sugar when bottling. Is there any advantage to using dme or does it depend on what type of beer you are bottling?

I like DME because it makes smaller bubbles. I think this "feels" closer to a nitrogen pour, like a draught Guinness, and I brew a lot of stouts and porters. I'll use DME for any style though. I use 1.125 cups per 5g batch- you need more of it than corn sugar. I don't think there are any other advantages.

PERSONALLY I see no reason what so ever to use DME for carbing.

HOWEVER - I have never tried it. Interesting about the Porters and Stouts. I have one brewing right now. Might have to think about that.

It's a horse apiece. you do need a bit more DME to prime a 5-gallon batch ( 1 1/4 cups DME as opposed to 3/4 cups dextrose). As far as the smaller bubbles, I've never noticed that, but sometimes I'm not that observant........

The biggest difference I've seen is that DME takes longer to carb. For me, its also been less reliable.

I don't understand how DME could possibly make smaller bubbles. Dissolved CO2 is dissolved CO2 no matter what sugar you use. When you crack open the bottle, all the CO2 comes out of solution. The only thing that would make the bubbles smaller is if the liquid was less viscous. That's right...LESS viscous. If anything, using DME makes a more viscous liquid since it adds a touch of "mouthfeel." I may be missing something, but I don't think so.

Latest posts

Back