DME in place of Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a recipe that calls for 1 Lb of Corn Sugar, I thought I had this on hand but turns out I don't. I do, however, have some DME that I generally use for making yeast starters. Could I use DME instead of the corn sugar? This is an All Grain recipe.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

RP

You could, but it wouldn't be the same. The corn sugar would have the effect of drying the beer out/not leaving as much malty sweetness, so subbing in DME would bump the FG up a couple of points and add a touch more body.

You could, but it wouldn't be the same. The corn sugar would have the effect of drying the beer out/not leaving as much malty sweetness, so subbing in DME would bump the FG up a couple of points and add a touch more body.

That makes sense. I guess I'm driving to the LHBS today.... can't find corn sugar anywhere but there it seems. I bought all my grain yesterday and somehow conveniently left this one item off the list.

Thanks,

RP

That makes sense. I guess I'm driving to the LHBS today.... can't find corn sugar anywhere but there it seems. I bought all my grain yesterday and somehow conveniently left this one item off the list.

Thanks,

RP

Not sure it would be an exact oz for oz substitution, but I think table sugar should work the same for you

Not sure it would be an exact oz for oz substitution, but I think table sugar should work the same for you

+1. Table sugar is the way to go. It will dry the beer out as the corn sugar was intended to do. I usually invert mine before adding it to my beers near flameout, by boiling the sugar in just enough water to create a simple syrup and adding a small amount of acid- I use a splash of lemon juice. As I understand it, heating sucrose in a low pH environment hydrolyzes the sugar into glucose and fructose, creating simple sugars that are very fermentable, thusly drying out the beer and providing a gravity boost.

+1. Table sugar is the way to go. It will dry the beer out as the corn sugar was intended to do. I usually invert mine before adding it to my beers near flameout, by boiling the sugar in just enough water to create a simple syrup and adding a small amount of acid- I use a splash of lemon juice. As I understand it, heating sucrose in a low pH environment hydrolyzes the sugar into glucose and fructose, creating simple sugars that are very fermentable, thusly drying out the beer and providing a gravity boost.

+1 on both counts. The only thing that I have to add is that some people claim that using table sugar can add cider-like flavors to beer, but this seems to be hit-or-miss. More than likely, even if it did happen, the flavors from the rest of your ingredients would cover it.

Wort is also acidic and hydrolyzes the sucrose. Many just add it to the kettle and let it do its thing.
Table sugar all the way, why waste money on corn sugar?

Back