DME in Hard Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. So I was trying to get my first batch of hard kombucha going. Did a 6 gallon batch (with goal of 5g kegged, rest goes to scoby storage) and the base booch is finally at the flavor we want. I planned on just pulling scoby, dissolving 5lbs of dextrose, tossing it in with rehydrated US05 (which has done well for me with lots of sour beers). My main question has anyone used DME in their recipes to give more body? Kinda tossing around the idea of 2.5lbs light pilsen and 2.5lbs dextrose... or should I keep it simple with dextrose?

@BigDawg Did you ever try this? Curious as to the outcome.
I did... but the biggest mistake was using US05. It didn't do much of anything, so I pitched champagne yeast (which I should have done from the start). I did the 50/50 dextrose / DME, but I don't think the flavor is disliked had anything to do with it. I honestly think it sat around too long before the yeast did it's job and just didn't taste great (maybe a bit heavy on the acetic acid). My friend who likes hard kombucha thought it was good, but I just didn't like the idea of caffeinated "beer"... considering beer is something I consumed in the evenings. I ended up moving out of California and just dumped what was left.

I ended up moving out of California and just dumped what was left.
You and 23 other families I know. Thanks for reporting back. Been toying with the idea of doing a hard kombucha lately and the thought of adding DME is intriguing. US-05 won't be on that list. Cheers and good luck in your new location.

I thought I'd chime in here with my own experience in kombucha brewing and the process of hard kombucha brewing. First - you should know that you do not need to use caffeinated tea to brew with. I have been using a mixture of both de-caffeinated green and black tea. Get a brand that does the de-caf process without using chemicals.

Second, in my experience you only need 1/2 cup sugar per gallon to get the same taste results. My guess is that if you use more sugar, you are just consuming more sugar with no souring benefits. I think typical kombucha recipes just copy eachother and figure that people prefer the sweet taste. But if you drink a lot of this stuff, it may not be wise to consume so much extra sugar that has not been processed by the yeast.

Third, the low ph in kombucha will stall almost any attempt to ferment hard kombucha. Yeast just can't handle it. It may work for 1 day then fizzle out. Typical DIY recipes will have you create a new sweet tea (sugar + green tea), then only add 4 cups of the sour kombucha tea to it, plus yeast. This in effect raises the PH to a level where many yeasts can handle. In my experience it is not that good tasting though. It comes out more like a sour wine. And in many cases it fails - probably due to the lack of nutrients for the yeast, as well as the dropping PH as the ferment progresses.

Currently I believe that to match the taste of commercial hard kombucha, what you really need to do is brew a batch of hard seltzer at say 10%abv then when finished, dilute with 50% sour kombucha to taste. Hard seltzer has its own challenges to brew but I think it will get you closer to a better tasting version of Hard Kombucha once mixed.

Just my two cents! I am still experimenting too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back