Hard Booch 2F not going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckgl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First go at Hard Booch. We did 3 gallons that was at 3.0 Ph at end of 1F. I followed @RPh_Guy rehydration mixing a little 1F in twice using 5g EC-1118 and 5g Arauner Sekt Yeast and pitched at 80F. I used go-ferm for rehydration and did a healthy does of DAP and Escarpment Yeast Lightning with the sugar mix I added to 1F. OG after sugar went from 1.005 to 1.064 using EasyDen.

Didn’t realize until a few days later that Arauner yeast maxed at 68F. I didn’t get any active for week. So I pitched dry a second 5g of EC-1118. When I opened to pitch there was a bubble of what I believe to by scoby floating (pic attached). I pulled it out closed the fermenter and roused/purged with CO2 from the drain valve out the airlock. Been 5 days since and Tilt in the 2F has shown no activity and the S airlock is balanced Indicting no positive pressure.

Any thoughts or recommendations before I call it a fail and dump the three gallons?

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
First of all, ec-1118 should be pitched between 86-95 deg. If youre pitching outside of that temp, your yeast is not waking up. Youre jus killing your batch. The foam being built is krauzen. Its jus the yeast foam building. Totally normal.

As far as keeping the temp, use a heat wrap that you can set a temp to so that it keeps your batch at a certain temp.

As for the tilt, when you calibrate with water, be sure to calibrate it at 1.000.

And rule of thumb, on the 2F, what i do is for every 1 gallon, i use 3 cups of starter, 2 cups sugar and i make 2 cups of tea concentrate. Then i top the vessel with purified water. Drop the tilt in and get a reading via refratometer, then pitch your yeast.

The first 5g of EC-1118 was "pitched" into 95F with the go-ferm to rehydrate for 15 minutes. Then I added 3 oz of booch twice to bring the temp down to the temp of the 1F with the sugar mix added which was 80F. I actually stuck it on a spin plate for a bit while the booch/sugar mix temp stabilized. The second 5g was at 78F when I added it so that 5g might be snoozing.

Based on your feedback, I am raising the temp up to 86F, where your range and lallaman site's range meet. Hopefully that will help. Thanks much for the feedback. Especially on the krauzen bubble. It was so different than beer yeast krausen I didn't even consider that.

Chuck

Back