DME addition during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. So, turns out one of my thermometers was out of calibration by a significant amount (8 degrees F). I held what I thought was the right temp in the mash the entire hour. The beer is a double IPA and was supposed to come out to a OG of 1090, but instead hit 1050. Being late in the day, the brewing store was already closed and I had no extra malt on hand to bump it up.

So, it's been 1.5 days now and i'm wondering if it would be possible to boil maybe a half gallon of water with ~2 lbs of DME and add it to the already fermenting vessel? I realize that to hit that 1090 i would have to do closer to 5, but don't really want to add that much. At the same time I don't want to be so low.

13 oz of hops made this a stupidly expensive brew, I'd like it to be somewhat drinkable.

Any advice?

That sounds like a fine plan. I made the same mistake once, and I have the following advice: You extracted WAY more IBUs than intended with your lower gravity wort, so you're going to have to age this for a LONG time before it's not horribly bitter. Don't give up on it - in a few months it'll be great, regardless of whether you add the boiled DME or not! (I opted not to.) If you do add it, make sure you boil it thoroughly to avoid nasty dms flavors.

To balance out the bitter a higher ABV and higher FG would probably help. Your plan sounds good to me.

Back