DJ Vineyards Introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djvineyards

Reaction score
Hello Homebrew talk. DJ Vineyards is named after my father who passed away in 2008. DJ are his initials.

I have had a row of 6 Catawba grapevine plants in our backyard now since 2019. Yes, I know that's not really a vineyard but I think my dad would have liked it. I love how they are maturing, and the neighbors are enjoying the project as they vines fill out. This August/September I am preparing to make wine for the first time. This is quite intimidating. I have plenty of information on the process but a few key pieces are missing for these specific grapes.

What fermentation process do I follow? It appears these grapes are neither red wine or white wine but something in the middle. So, do they need air during fermentation or not?
What yeast do I use? The references I am finding are listing several different yeast types. The Chemistry element to this process is the most intimidating.
My only goal is so that the wine doesn't smell horrible or taste like vinegar. That is my only goal.

Regards,
DJ Vineyards

Last edited by a moderator:
Back