First Attempt - Picked Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
Is therea good "quick" resource available for first time winter making?
I've been successfully homebrewery beer for a decade, and am comfortable with the concept. About six years ago, I thought I'd like to try wine making, so I ordered some melot (not Merlot) grape vine, at the recommendation of the vineyard I ordered from. This year, I've finally got about 20 pounds of grapes, so my daughter's and I picked, washed and de-stemmed them. I don't have a wine book, as i do "Joy of Homebrewing," but thought it would be much the same: press, add yeast, test gravity until it settles.
Then I started searching, today, and saw so much that had me questioning. Air is bad, in beer, but I've seen recommendations to stir daily. Should I boil the juice first, to kill bad things, then pitch? If/When it's finished, are there alternatives to corking?
I try not to waste people's time, so a link is fine. Thanks.

Is therea good "quick" resource available for first time winter making?
I've been successfully homebrewery beer for a decade, and am comfortable with the concept. About six years ago, I thought I'd like to try wine making, so I ordered some melot (not Merlot) grape vine, at the recommendation of the vineyard I ordered from. This year, I've finally got about 20 pounds of grapes, so my daughter's and I picked, washed and de-stemmed them. I don't have a wine book, as i do "Joy of Homebrewing," but thought it would be much the same: press, add yeast, test gravity until it settles.
Then I started searching, today, and saw so much that had me questioning. Air is bad, in beer, but I've seen recommendations to stir daily. Should I boil the juice first, to kill bad things, then pitch? If/When it's finished, are there alternatives to corking?
I try not to waste people's time, so a link is fine. Thanks.
Making wine compared to beer is a surprisingly dirty process but wine must is more hostile to spoiling organisms than wort.

You don't need to wash the grapes unless they are super dirty and don't ever boil the juice.

You can also ferment with a percentage of ripe stems to add tannin complexity FWIW

Latest posts

Back