DIY Tick Repellent for my Yard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for an all natural tick repellent I can spray in my yard? Years ago, I had found a recipe online for getting rid of ticks. I used it and it worked well. However, I cannot find it any more. Ticks have been brutal this year. Since I have a dog and lots of wildlife in my yard, I dont like the commercial options like Bayer Advanced. Does any one have any recommendations? I'm looking for organic/all natural that cant harm pets or wildlife. Thanks in advance!

I wonder if chickens like ticks? The reason I mention this is my wife picked up 5 of them last year and I noticed they roam around the property all day eating bugs. They pick the bugs out of the firewood pile, around the foundation of the house, throughout the yard... it almost seems like they are Mother Nature's Orkin Man, plus we get absolutely delicious eggs every day!

I wonder if chickens like ticks? The reason I mention this is my wife picked up 5 of them last year and I noticed they roam around the property all day eating bugs. They pick the bugs out of the firewood pile, around the foundation of the house, throughout the yard... it almost seems like they are Mother Nature's Orkin Man, plus we get absolutely delicious eggs every day!

Ticks and other bugs. Went to a zoo a couple of years ago and they had several types of fowl wandering around. They are supposed to eat ticks.

I still got one on my legs. Thankfully I picked it off before it could jam it's head into my skin!

Also, I just watched a video online that shows someone putting peppermint oil on a tick that was buried in an arm, and the tick backed out and crawled away. Might be useful to know if you find one lodged in your epidermis.

I don't think the "peppermint" aspect matters, as the same technique works with Vaseline.
Anything that will smother the li'l bastids may work.

btw, the Powassan virus can be transferred well before the wee beasties work their way into your flesh.
Motivation to be extra aware...

Cheers!

chickens do eat ticks but I cant have them. Thats why im looking for a yard spray thats an alternative to the commercial ones.

I use Demon WP to kill insects inside and around my house. It's pretty nuclear. It comes in a powder form (liquid also available) that you add to a sprayer. Not sure how appropriate it is outdoors, though I did recently use it to kill the ant colonies that had ravaged a gardenia in my yard.

Amazon carries.

[edit] don't know about the organic part, but I believe it's safe around animals and people.

Back