DIY tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been turning tap handles on the lathe lately and there's been quite a learning curve. Anyone else enjoying this hobby? Any tips to share? Anyone need any tips?

Pictured are one perpleheart, one redheart, and one oak with a copper ferrule.

Attachments

• 20190415_010149.jpg
    20190415_010149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 385
  • 20190408_213550.jpg
    20190408_213550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
  • 20190408_213347.jpg
    20190408_213347.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
Been turning tap handles on the lathe lately and there's been quite a learning curve. Anyone else enjoying this hobby? Any tips to share? Anyone need any tips?

Those are fantastic! No lathe here either unfortunately. I have an uncle that turns these bowls (among other things). I’m fairly ignorant to the process, but wonder if this “look” could be incorporated into some handles?

67E9D967-A029-4849-A747-8F153F711CEE.jpeg

I don’t have a lathe but I make custom tap handles out of nerdy figurines and collectibles. Here are some of the ones I’ve made.

That’s a lot of collectibles! I’ve basicly done the same, in that I’ve turned some of my interests into handles.

34BDC670-0FEA-4794-B586-BCD14BE9321D.jpeg

Those are fantastic! No lathe here either unfortunately. I have an uncle that turns these bowls (among other things). I’m fairly ignorant to the process, but wonder if this “look” could be incorporated into some handles?

View attachment 623807

That’s a lot of collectibles! I’ve basicly done the same, in that I’ve turned some of my interests into handles.

View attachment 623806
Those will make awesome handles! Also, have you seen wood turning blanks that are a combo of nice scrap wood and epoxy? They make beautiful pens so I'm sure they would be great handles. Now if only I had an uncle with a lathe...

Now if only I had an uncle with a lathe...

I can’t be the only one that read that line to the the wizard of oz song “if I only had a brain”?........... no?........Crap. :p

Haven’t convinced him to do it yet. Hadn’t even thought about it until seeing the OP’s beautifully turned handles. I’ll be making a phone call tonight!

I don’t have a lathe but I make custom tap handles out of nerdy figurines and collectibles. Here are some of the ones I’ve made.

Those are all excellent! What are you using for the base that threads on to the tap?

View attachment 623807

View attachment 623806
Whoever made that bowl could probably make a tap handle while taking a nap.

Those are all excellent! What are you using for the base that threads on to the tap?

I use these a lot. Cheap and available locally. For some things I’ll leave the prongs on, others I’ll grind them flat. Like Tbagger, I use epoxy to set them. Use some keg lube or vasolene on a bolt threaded flush with the bottom before setting to keep stray epoxy from gumming up the threads.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hil...-Steel-Pronged-Tee-Nut-15-Pack-4151/204775375

View attachment 623807

View attachment 623806

This is the coolest Keezer build I've seen yet! The cups and speakers are an awesome idea.

This is the coolest Keezer build I've seen yet! The cups and speakers are an awesome idea.

Thanks! That was my first time doing fiberglass more than a small patch job on a boat, but it turned out better than I really expected. I HIGHLY recommend the addition of the cup holder. Not only is it convenient, but the “conversations” it causes with beer snobs... er.. enthusiasts...., about drinking craft beer out of a Solo cup is priceless.

I’m not the best at chronicling, but I put a few pics of the build here if your interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fiberglass-a-twist-on-an-old-faithful-design.639796/

Thanks! That was my first time doing fiberglass more than a small patch job on a boat, but it turned out better than I really expected. I HIGHLY recommend the addition of the cup holder. Not only is it convenient, but the “conversations” it causes with beer snobs... er.. enthusiasts...., about drinking craft beer out of a Solo cup is priceless.

I’m not the best at chronicling, but I put a few pics of the build here if your interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fiberglass-a-twist-on-an-old-faithful-design.639796/

Thanks! When I move out of the city and get a garage that can store more than two small cars I'll have to start working with fiberglass and copy you.

The convenience of the cup holder is the biggest part for me I think. Neighbor or stranger walking by when brewing? Give em a cup, or when going to walk the dogs, working on the car, mowing the lawn, going to work, who said that..?

My current friend circle probably wouldnt give me **** but let them age a little and maybe.

Also the speakers are clutch for all the same situations.

Back