DIY Tap Handle Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmah84

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on possible components for my tap handle(s) that I am making.

I plan on creating two handles from d20 dice (DnD dork) -- I am planning on using a drill press to put holes through each (20mm size with a 34mm top die) and putting a rod through them. What I need is advice on how to bring it all together, and attach the thread ferrule or something to screw it onto the faucet.

Appreciate any feedback!

I'll post pictures of the finished product when complete :)

I would think they could be interesting, so how many die were you thinking on putting on one tap?

20mm hole through the die? That's over 3/4inch :eek:

I used a 5/16 or 3/8inch (sorry can't remember) "connecting" nut that I rounded in a lathe (You could do the same thing w/ a drill and a file) and inserted that into the wooden tap handle I had made.

*EDIT
I see... The dice are 20mm-34mm. Get the appropriate connecting nut, round it off, and use threaded rod to connect all the dice.

Sorry for the confusion. Those are indeed the dice sizes, not the drill sizes I am planning to drill :)

Would I need to do anything special to get the ferrule (the piece that would attach to the threaded bolt on the faucet, right?) and the rod connected? Sounds like I'd just need to screw it all together, nothing else.

You might need a jamb-nut set into the top die to secure everything in place. Unless you can run a tap (internal threading tool) through all the dice. In which case you may not even need a connecting nut to attach this to the faucet.

Or if you can tap the dice. The top die can become the jamb-nut on the threaded rod securing all the pieces.

I was able to get the holes drilled with no problems (went with a 3/8inch drill bit.) Friend gave me a non-threaded 3/8 rod to use as a "demo." It looks great.

I am looking for something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NYLXQ2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - (need 16 threads though? maybe something shorter? Friend can cut it if needed.) Anyone have any suggestions on the rod? I assume a full threaded rod is going to be a bit easier to find over a double threaded rod? Also, what kind of 3/8-16 ferrule would I need from, say Home Depot? The ones linked on from ChrisI77 would possibly work, right? I am hoping to find something local.

My buddy said he'd also be happy to weld something to the bottom of the non-threaded 3/8 rod as well. Anyone able to provide links of what I would need to finish this project? I plan on using an epoxy to attach the top die to the rod, as I only drilled partway through it (the die itself was 34mm.)

I would think they could be interesting, so how many die were you thinking on putting on one tap?

I bought two 34mm die (one for each handle as a topper) and 4 sets of 5 20mm die each (alternating colors). Each tap handle would have 1 34mm as the topper, then followed with 10 20mm die to the connecting ferrule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know anyone with a (tap and) die set? You can then have the thread size/length you want and it'l only take a couple of minutes to do.

Great idea, can you post pics? I may want to make a set myself!

Sure outside92129! Once I get home, I can take a picture of the demo. My buddy didn't have a die set to make the threading, and he suggested it may be pricy to buy one if I don't have one (or access to one..)

Get one of these and glue it into the bottom die with some jb weld. You could probably do the same to the top die. As for a tap and die set check sears i bought a decent set that had a 3/8-16 die and tap a while ago there for less then $50. They might even sell individual taps and dies.

I picked up a pair of 10 inch 1/4"-20 threaded rod and just ordered 2 1/4"-20 x 3/8" - 16 reducing coupling nut that is an inch long. Hopefully it will work out :) pictures to come when I get the nuts.

Here's the finished product! I used epoxy to hold the dice in place.

d20beertaphandles.jpg

Latest posts

Back