DIY Stubborn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
Don't know if this is General Chit-chat but oh well...

I'm guessing lots of people in here are stubborn about their projects. Let's find out how stubborn, share an experience with us. I thought of this because the cooler I use for ferm temp control had a leak in it. Its old and has some cracks. I replaces the O-ring, and used some cocking on the outside of the drain plug as well as the crack in the side (all stuff I had BTW). I know I could have picked up another one for $15 but why would I do that when I could spend 30 min, fix this one, and be cooling tomorrow instead of today. The TV in my garage on the other hand is a different story. I KNOW I can fix it, just have to put the time into it. SWMBO wants me to get rid of it cause its been that way for 2 weeks but I won't. Why? Cause I can fix it!

Who else is stubborn about DIY projects?

I've had a TV sitting in my garage for almost a year. I know I can fix it, I just have to order the part to do so.

I built my trunk line chiller to a chorus of "It won't work" Does that count? :D
It works just fine! it's not perfect, but it's mine! I built it, and it doesn't take near the power a separate chiller would.

Now I'm on to the E-Rig. SWMBO watches the parts piling up in the garage and gives me a look I'm sure we've all seen when I tell her it's not going to get used for a few months ;)
She thinks I'm stubborn :drunk:

Her car... Not that's a a whole nother level of stubborn...

I have a 600 sf detached shop full of DIY projects, mostly vintage british motorcycles awaiting parts or mostly my time. I'm about as stubborn as it gets. Plus all the stuff I have stashed for future brewing projects. I am currently trying to purge so I can get back some more space, it's too tight to get any work done. Anyone need a Triumph 3 cylinder 900 motor (90's)? I'd trade it for a few homebrews.
link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1287471&l=c222f2ea28&id=1069693023

Here is a good one…

We bought this home 5 years ago. The guy left bamboo curtains hanging in the sun room. The cords on them were shot but the bamboo was still in great shape. As a DIY-MAN, I said I can fix that. For the last 5 years I have heard from SHMBO about fixing them or getting new ones.

Yesterday I went to HD and got some cotton cord and repaired the three nonfunctioning blinds. Oh, and I also cut down two other new blinds we had gotten on clearance to fit the one double window with no curtain on it at all. At $2 each for 42” bamboo curtains, I can MAKE it work.

I told her I could do it. I just didn’t say when. :rolleyes:

Don't know if this is General Chit-chat but oh well...

I'm guessing lots of people in here are stubborn about their projects. Let's find out how stubborn, share an experience with us. I thought of this because the cooler I use for ferm temp control had a leak in it. Its old and has some cracks. I replaces the O-ring, and used some cocking on the outside of the drain plug as well as the crack in the side (all stuff I had BTW). I know I could have picked up another one for $15 but why would I do that when I could spend 30 min, fix this one, and be cooling tomorrow instead of today. The TV in my garage on the other hand is a different story. I KNOW I can fix it, just have to put the time into it. SWMBO wants me to get rid of it cause its been that way for 2 weeks but I won't. Why? Cause I can fix it!

Who else is stubborn about DIY projects?

Heh. Interesting... :D

Yeah, I'm stubborn, or cheap or have high standards of craftsmanship. Most times I argue about buying some piece of furniture because I can make it better and cheaper. The reponse is "But I don't want to wait years to get it.

I also have disassembled Brit bikes, half done cabinetry, a brewery in pieces to finish. Not enough time, is the real issue.

We bought a 90-year old house in September. Needless to say, there are no less than 50 DIY projects I have waiting for the time and funds to start. The worse part (or better, depending upon whether it's me or SWMBO looking at it) is that I've spent equal amount of time on brewing-related DIY projects.

I'll take this over my DIY projects I had 2-years ago. Replacing the engine in a subaru impreza is not a walk in the park, especially for a desk jockey like me. Got it done though. That car is a neverending source of DIY projects come to think of it...Installed a new muffler last month, replaced the AC pulley tensioner, fabricated (out of PVC) a patch for a rusted out fuel filler pipe and installed it with duct tape, and reattached the rear bumper after an accident with wood screws (until we got it professionally repaired)...

I need a vacation...

Hell I have 10 years of projects on the back burner a "someday" thing.
I'm working on a 105 year old rental house, restored to it's era with pride.
Try running a fleet of 11 cars and trucks from the 50's to the POS 80's plastic era not counting 9 bikes of 38 to 76 era competing in international shows? Adding to this a crippling back injury as I come to win 1st place 2nd isn't good enough.

Hell I have 10 years of projects on the back burner a "someday" thing.
Try running a fleet of 11 cars and trucks from the 50's to the POS 80's plastic era not counting 9 bikes of 38 to 76 era competing in international shows? add top this a crippling back injury as I come to win 1st place 2nd isn't good enough.

Been drinking tonight too?

From what I understood of that, you maintain cars and bikes for auto shows? And are injured?

Nope, on too many Percocets 24/7, up and running by 11 AM as it takes 3 hours to become mobile daily. Spinal fusions in my future i've been told by many surgeons. The rewards for busting AZZ being a type A hyper person, i've been forced to throttle back to 10% maximum of what I did in the past, pains too much.

I am the same way.
I am one of those guys that has to do everything himself. It always gets me in trouble. I end up with way too many projects started and none of them fully finished.
I just built a fermentation chamber and it works great. The trouble is, I have yet to put the finishing touches on it. (Clamps on door to keep it fully sealed)
A friend of mine offered to do it for me, and I told him no, I'll do it soon. -Knowing I will not get to it for probably weeks.

Every time I start something I always ask myself "WHY?????"
I started my Brutus build back in January, and have been as meticulous as I possibly can be with it. I could have finished it WEEKS ago, but for some reason it is dragging out. It always drags out with every project I start.
All I have to do is drill two more holes and wire the flippin pumps and I am done.

Nope, on too many Percocets 24/7, up and running by 11 AM as it takes 3 hours to become mobile daily. Spinal fusions in my future i've been told by many surgeons. The rewards for busting AZZ being a type A hyper person, i've been forced to throttle back to 10% maximum of what I did in the past, pains too much.

I know how you feel. I had a neck injury several years ago, and now have two vertebra fused. The pain before the fusion was unbearable, and percs didn't help much. Now, I still have pains, but they are manageable with 800 mg ibuprofen when needed. Some days are better than others. Go and get the fusions done, you'll be able to throttle back up afterwards. Maybe not to 100%, but definitely more than the 10% you're doing now. Plus, you'll be able to put the percs down and pick up a glass of homebrew.:mug:

Back on topic: When I broke a carboy last year, I didn't have full use of my right hand (I'm right handed too), but I managed to build my 3-tier brew rig without doing any more damage to myself. Is that stubbornness, or determination?

Is that stubbornness, or determination?

Both! :mug:

I am fully in the camp of too many projects and too many DIY visions!

I'm doing a room addition to the house, remodeling the guest bathroom (95% done), and working on some new product lines and at some point trying to find time to learn TIG welding with my new welder.

There is some hope. I actually have let go of a few diy projects lately knowing that they will not be completed. I pass on the goods to others hoping they will be used.

trying to find time to learn TIG welding with my new welder.

Yeah. There are also other projects I would love to take on but require me learning new shop skills that I can't find the time to learn. I wish I would have learned welding in high school instead of taking computer classes and just playing games all the time.

Definitely not stubborn in starting projects... the finishing is another problem. SWMBO always cringes when I go to start another project.

Life is too short to finish all the projects!

I'm getting wiser. I wanted a ferm chamber, so I though about building a flywood box and insulating it, and using a yard sale dorm fridge to cool it. Then work was scrapping out a CNC cabinet with air conditioning for free. I only needed to cut the top off, replace with a piece of wood, and insulate. After starting, and realizing all of the other stuff that is not getting done while that goes on (not to mention the larger footprint I don't need in the garage) I decided to just look for a fridge on craigslist.

f it. Something else will pop up soon enough anyway. Have to start choosing my projects more carefully. Finally got that chop saw for fathers day. Now to start planning my brew rig! (The saw could potentially be useful for other things too...)

Back