DIY STC-1000 box for temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agtronic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For many people, one of the exciting aspects of brewing beer is to always be looking for ways to improve from batch to batch. As you may know, controlling fermentation temperature is a great way to improve the flavor profile of your brew and helps you make more consistent beers batch to batch. Temperature control also allows you to delve into the world of Lagers.

I built this a few months ago and wanted to share it here in case it might be helpful to anyone. I had been putting off getting a temp controller because the commercials units were a bit expensive for me, and I had read mixed reviews about how well they worked.

Then I came a cross the STC-1000+ thread started by alphaomega. When I saw how inexpensive the STC-1000 was, I decided right then and there that it was time to get going on this project.

The STC-1000+ project is downright amazing. I didn't get into that with mine (yet), but plan to in the future. You do not need to get into the electronics aspect if you just want simple temp control!

I used to fiddle around with electronics (a long time ago) but haven't had much free time in recent years with the garage/fabrication business. Now I have a bit more time and this post convinced me to start dabbling again.

I'm in Canada, so a lot of what I read on forums is a bit different, especially with respect to sourcing "the goods". On a Friday, I ordered an STC-1000 from Amazon.ca (which as I understand it, uses a different distribution network than the US amazon.com does.) I received it on Monday. (Lightening fast shipping.)

Here are some pics from when I received the unit:

stc1000_06.jpg

Opened it up to check for compatibility with the STC-1000+ project:

stc1000_00.jpg

stc1000_01.jpg

stc1000_02.jpg

stc1000_03.jpg

I went to the local electronics store and picked up a project box I felt would fit the project best. I came a cross this one from Hammon Canada.

Components:
stc1000_components.jpg

Next I modeled the box and the components to try different ideas for a clean look. I guess I went a little nuts with the details. (ADD / hyperfocus)

STC-1000:

untitled.26.jpg

temp_controller_03.23.jpg

temp_controller_03.24.jpg

temp_controller_03.25.jpg

Then I set out to build it.

temp_controller_01.jpg

temp_controller_04.jpg

temp_controller_06.jpg

temp_controller_08.jpg

temp_controller_09.jpg

temp_controller_10.jpg

temp_controller_11.jpg

Hope this might help others looking for ideas on how to set theirs up. I welcome all questions!

I clicked the thread with an '*sigh* not another stc enclosure thread' attitude, but soon changed my mind :)
Very nice job! The wiring is very clean. You and I share the love of shrinktubing stuff, I can tell.
Thanks for the kind words about the stc-1000+ project aswell!
I have a few minor suggestions. First consider adding a fuse. Primarily one for the stc, but it won't hurt to add a fuse to the heating and cooling either.
A connector for the probe is a nice addition as well. I really like mini XLR.
Speaking of connectors, maybe a connector for the stc-1000+ programmer as well ;)
Really, top job! Hope you will get around to upgrading your firmware soon!

Cheers!

Nice clean build for sure. I like to see a well thought out and executed plan.

I'm glad that the IEC 320 C14 sockets and the 3 pin socket plug are so widely available now. They make for such a clean professional looking project.

I agree on the probe connectors. To be able to unplug everything from the controller is a plus.
I used the RTD sensor connectors from Auber. I have since found them on eBay for much cheaper.

Wow, I just realized, I had posted a reply to this but for some reason I didn't hit submit or something went wrong. :O Sorry about that!

I definitely wanted to put in a fuse, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I have a few things on the 'to do' list to finish this, but I was in a hurry to get fermenting. My first lager actually was barely drinkable. I think because my boil was so soft, there was NO bitterness, and it didn't attenuate nearly as much as I wanted it to. Back to ales for a while. :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

This officially puts my two STC boxes to shame. I need some switches on my kegerator one.

Thanks guys.

The first switch kills the whole box, and the two other ones are simply auxiliaries which are directly hooked up to the two extra outlets in the back. I thought if ever run out of outlets on the wall in that area, I can just plug other things into the box. I thought maybe I'd use that to control a fan when I finally build my kegerator.

Very nice and clean! I'm about to embark on my enclosure, got all my parts; great idea on the extra switched outlets - what did you use to make the cuts? I see the green bit applied for marking - what is that?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Latest posts

Back