DIY sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humuleneman

Reaction score
I was looking at all the tubing used for sight glass tubing on the internet and on HBT. I found that polycarbonate tubing was very popular. After a few research on the material. I found that there is some hydrolysis that occur a high temp with water. Giving off some byproduct that would be silencely getting in your brew. So , i decided to go on glass tubing. Real heavy wall liquid gauge tubing is quite expensive like red line pyrex tubing. while working on an other projet i landed in a neon sign store. The guy there had some perfect glass tubing for me.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457672551.037552.jpg. I bought a 4 ft lenght of it. After using a 1/2 inch NPT to 1/2 tube fitting, an M/F 1/2" elbow with a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer. I was able to link my kettle to my glass gauge. Ive used a small part of silicone tubing with some clamp. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457672774.810314.jpg. All is left is to calibrate the tube. In the future i'm planing to build a metal tube protector around the glass tubing. I'm having nightmares of my hole batch draining from that broken glass gauge!
CheersView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457672950.061794.jpg

Looks good! Did you look into an elbow with the right compression fitting size to insert the glass into? You would need to replace the metal compression ring in it with orings.

For the compression fittings. Those neon glass tube are around 5/8 OD. I guess you could use some o ring and a compression fitting. For me the hole idea was to get it as cheap as possible. The M/F elbow and the 1/2 to male NPT costed me a few bucks. Those 5/8 SS compression fitting are quite expensive. I also wanted to keep a certain flexibility using silicone tubing. . The top part is also secured using the same tubing. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457759645.102553.jpg. To answer Bobby M. Im trying to get a machinist friend to drill a windows out in the stainless tube from a sanke keg. If its not possible i'm thinking of 3/4 copper pipe and a dremel tool mounted on a rig to cut out the vertical windows.until then i'm focusing on not being a clumsy brewer and hit my sight with a camlock fitting!

I've seen a number of people go the copper pipe route as you mentioned, might be easier and cheaper.

Back