DIY Kegerator Step by Step??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure your keg with the mounted QDs fit inside the fridge. If you want your CO2 tank in there too, same applies.

You only need a 1/2-3/4" hole for the beer line to your tap tower, but the tower also needs to be screwed down.
In most (mini) fridges there are coils in the walls (and perhaps the top too). Make sure you know where they are before drilling holes.

Read up on line length/diameter/serving pressure/temperature relations. 4-6' of 3/16" beer line that comes in kits is too short for most beer applications.
Proper hose length - Mike Soltys

Look into using 4mm ID/8mm OD EVA Barrier line and push-fit adapters, instead. Same for gas. They are oxygen impermeable. Vinyl lines aren't.

Make sure your keg with the mounted QDs fit inside the fridge. If you want your CO2 tank in there too, same applies.

You only need a 1/2-3/4" hole for the beer line to your tap tower, but the tower also needs to be screwed down.
In most (mini) fridges there are coils in the walls (and perhaps the top too). Make sure you know where they are before drilling holes.

Read up on line length/diameter/serving pressure/temperature relations. 4-6' of 3/16" beer line that comes in kits is too short for most beer applications.
Proper hose length - Mike Soltys

Look into using 4mm ID/8mm OD EVA Barrier line and push-fit adapters, instead. Same for gas. They are oxygen impermeable. Vinyl lines aren't.

Is this big enough for a Corny? Is is that cutting it too close with a 25 inch tall keg, the MFL's should only add about a inch or two on top of that

Key Specs
See All Specifications ›
  • Product Height
    Info
    32 7/10 inches
  • Product Width
    Info
    19 1/10 inches
  • Height To Top Of Door Hinge
    Info
    32 7/10 inches
  • Total Capacity
    3.3 cubic feet
  • Refrigerator Style
    Compact
  • Ice Maker
    No
  • App Compatible
    Info
    No
  • Color Finish
    Black

3.3 CF seems pretty small to be fitting a corny keg. Does the fridge have a freezer at the top that has the cooling lines running through it? If so, that might limit the height to less than what the specs say.

The most important part (other than making sure everything fits), is that you don't drill through any refrigerant lines when modifying the refrigerator. I recently built a kegerator from a mini fridge I got for cheap (local Lowes was going out of business). But if you find this model, you would be able to build the same one from this writeup:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/write-up-diy-kegerator-whirlpool-wh43rs2e.659193/

I just measured the internal space of my kegerator from S&Gs and it is 28.5". It fits a 5G, with standard ball lock connectors, Duotight connections and the beer line (4mm ID Eva barrier) rolled up and sitting on top of the keg itself. I can also futz around and get my hand in there to get to the PRV and disconnect the ball locks if necessary.

Back