DIY Gravity tree ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Has any one seen the cost benefit is building their own three tier gravity system ? Welding isn't a problem around me , so I checked square tubing and I'm thinking I can get in the raw material for around $150 or less ..? With no chugger pump , and just two cheaper propane burners. But I do already have a couple kettles and mash ton. So they seem so easy to make com paired to the outh door coast of a new one !

Creepersale said:
Has any one seen the cost benefit is building their own three tier gravity system ? Welding isn't a problem around me , so I checked square tubing and I'm thinking I can get in the raw material for around $150 or less ..? With no chugger pump , and just two cheaper propane burners. But I do already have a couple kettles and mash ton. So they seem so easy to make com paired to the outh door coast of a new one !

And also the fact the going vertical is a lot more space saving , especially in a corner !

It's what I did but I put a burner on each tier. You can always get a pump down the road and turn it into a RIMS setup.

I was thinking about setting up the HLT with a 4500 w element and a PID. So when I sparge the HLT will stay a constant temp , untill some time I can get a pump and be half way towards a HERMS system.

But now that you mention a RIMS , if had done like said being almost half way , which would be the cheaper way RIMS OR HERMS ? What kind of element would you in the tube for a rims?

Depends on the level of automation in either setup.

The cheapest route would be to just get a pump and make it a direct fire, manually controlled RIMS setup. That's what I do. Yeah, you have to manually turn the fire on and off and closely monitor it, but hey it works.

I only have one pump and use it to recirculate the mash and also to whirlpool after the boil.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about electric brewing.

d_striker said:
This is what mine came out like. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-brew-sculpture-almost-complete-346164/ I have since added gussets to the bottom to support the main tubing post. It helps immensely.

Great pics. That's exactly what I'm think , but I thought I was going to have to go with bigger square tubing . .. What size do you use ? And your selves ? But I guess you said something about adding support gussets to help support the shelves ?

I've attached a picture of the gussets. On my first brew without them, the center post would flex and resonate back and forth once loaded with water in the vessels.

There are no supports on the two upper shelves. IMO, it is not needed. Running four solid welds per shelf is enough support. I don't remember what gauge tubing it is but I believe it is 1.5". I'll check the wall thickness when I get home later.

These are the burners I used. http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-170000-btus/p/30295/

Note, I still haven't painted my stand yet.

8D5C1FF6-5FE5-404D-AB0F-55D23421C998-18512-0000192AAD72BE92_zps8dd3be1b.jpg

Great. Thanks for all the info !! Going this weekend to pickup my materials. Glad I'm not the only poor boy that has to make his own setup !!!! Lol

Back