DIY Grain Mill. I was excited until....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was about money I would buy beer...
It was jiggs_casey who was trying to justify this build with money. The others are just calling him out on it.

There is nothing wrong with you doing this project. You already have the rollers. I just hate to see someone go out and buy these specifically for the purpose of making a grain mill when steel rollers can be used for a small amount more. DIY isn’t always about saving money, but it is about craftsmanship.

And love the innovation and inventiveness.
The point is that there’s nothing inventive or innovative about this. It’s taking a well established product that’s already been thoroughly tested over many years and making it from an inferior material. I run a machine shop. I can assure you that it would be cheaper for the manufacturers of mills to use aluminum. There’s a reason that all grain mills are made with steel rollers.

I encourage the OP to go ahead, complete his mill and report back with the long term results. But he shouldn't overshadow reality. Anyone else looking to do a DIY grain mill should think twice before choosing these rollers and should be aware of the options. Don’t compromise when it’s not necessary. You could probably barter beer and get a shop or local guy with a lathe to make you rollers out of steel.

Best of luck!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. Back to lurking.)

I'm glad AnoldUR got to get as frazzled about a thread as I did in the pizzaman DIY soda bottle keg system and the recurring true cost of homebrewing threads. It's refreshing really.

Back