DIY Garage Hood and Heat Shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn_Brewer

Reaction score
I've been lurking around poaching ideas off this site for awhile now and it's time that I give back a little.

This is my DIY hood/heat shield that I built of of slotted steel, galvanized sheet metal and a heat duct ceiling box. I got all but the ceiling box, duct work and blower from Home Depot. The blower is Broan 1,500 cfm external blower that I found on-line on sale for ~ $600, which was marked down from ~$1200. It's connected through a 10 inch duct. It uses a 6 amp variable fan speed controller. The cost of the materials was a fraction of what a 6 foot ss commercial hood would have cost and by DIY, i was able conform it to the available space easily (no rough-in kits tequired).

The only problem was that once I got rolling, I couldn't stop without putting down a new epoxy floor over the decades old concrete. I got their Ultra floor kit, which is pretty bomber. I etched it once and then used an angle grinder on the tough spots.

image-531473018.jpg

image-2352923199.jpg

image-2341329867.jpg

image-468046007.jpg

image-616787628.jpg

image-3811520582.jpg

image-3666220120.jpg

image-2095303124.jpg

image-3960695583.jpg

hey man, that is super impressive! Do you have a double wall exhaust pipe going thru the ceiling, or is that a concern? I am hoping to do something very similar in my cellar and want to make sure I have all the bases covered before I go buying stuff...

Nicely done! Do you have any problems with condensation drip? I really like the idea of the sheeting for a backsplash.

It's a single wall duct through a cold attic and I have had no condensation problem. I do, however, live in Colorado, which is extremely dry.

are those sheets on the wall galvanized steel? What size are they - and did you say that you got them at Home Depot? How much were they there? I haven't seen sheet metal that big at HD. Looks good.

Latest posts

Back