DIY float ball for sparge water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
So I'm currently attempting to improve my fly sparge results. I use no sparge arm - just a silicon hose sitting in the mash tun (connected to a 12V pump to my HLT). I've noticed that after I run the pump for a moment to top off the water in the mash tun, the hose sucks back some liquid from the mash tun - seems like a siphon is happening here.

To present this, I'd like to use a float ball sort of like how the Blichmann autosparge works. I can't find any cheap SS float balls though...would a drilled *wooden* ball work? Maybe if I used some kind of food-safe sealant?

Eh, $25 for that vs $60 for the full autosparge, I'd rather get the latter. I'm looking at like a $3 wooden ball i can drill a hole into, and seal with silicon caulk.

Was going to to do this until I discovered Locline. Fully adjustable so you can keep the
outlet tip just under the surface so you can monitor the level while sparging.

I use a $4 stainless float switch which turns the pump on or off depending on level... its attached to a piece of locline which determines its height.

Augiedoggy I'll probably end up copying your design. How was your locline held up over time?

Eh, $25 for that vs $60 for the full autosparge, I'd rather get the latter. I'm looking at like a $3 wooden ball i can drill a hole into, and seal with silicon caulk.

I would think that would get pretty gross, I don't like the idea of adding wood. It's hard to maintain.

I'd like to add a switch for my pump. Where did you get this one?

on ebay.... heres the catch though for guys running the big ac pumps... the float switch is only good for switching 1 amp so you have to wire it to a relay if you want to use it.. I use 24vDC pumps which only draw an amp so I use it as a direct kill switch.

on ebay.... heres the catch though for guys running the big ac pumps... the float switch is only good for switching 1 amp so you have to wire it to a relay if you want to use it.. I use 24vDC pumps which only draw an amp so I use it as a direct kill switch.
Yeah, I have 2 chugger pumps. I was hoping you had found a switch that would work for AC. I found this one (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00909404Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) but I don't know what 30 VA means...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back