DIY Fermenter Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
This is an idea since I don't have the means nor need for this yet. Idea is to make a small scale rolling road, like what your tires sit in to be dyno tested or emissions tested, for setting a fermenter in to clean. Or visualize your fermenter being the hot dog on the rollers at 7-11 if that helps.

Using a motor with a pulley like most people have on their mills you could power it to keep the fermenter constantly spinning. Fill the fermenter with Oxiclean and let it sit for a while and it "should" be clean faster and with no effort on your part. This would be ideal for those using the Delex 15 gallon closed top fermenters or better bottles. I hope to acquire a few of the Delex barrels soon, which is why I'm thinking about this.

Just an idea. Feel free to shoot it down. Would have made a sketch up but haven't worked with it yet.

I say the best thing to do is test it out (if can be done without too much expense) and see what happens... Take LOTS of photos and/or video footage, and post them on here for everyone to see. You never know, you may have the next great DIY project that EVERYONE has to copy, or it might be too much effort for what it accomplishes. Won't know til you try though :)

First step I think is to get and setup a motorized mill. After that I could just add a second pulley to the driveshaft on the motor. Possibly with a bearing and lock nut system so the pulley can free spin while milling grain or vice versa.

I do plan to make something like this eventually but just wanted to get some thoughts or input.

Back