DIY conical chilling(temp control)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where i might find some info on how to build a cooling system for my conical? Im looking to build something that is similar/same as the system used on the morebeer cooling/heating conicals except i only need it to cool..i was trying to sell my conical but could not get any buyers so i decided to keep it and do this project..If anyone has any solutions i would appreciate it cheers

The cooling jackets from gotta-brew are awesome! I just got 2 more, so I can now run 4 fermenters on my glycol system at once.

They are a very easy and simple solution to this problem. the only caution I would have is that
they are very pressure sensitive. They say right on the site that you must limit glocol/liquid PSI to 8psi or less.. they really mean it. (ask me how I know) Just pay attention to the pump you use for circulating coolant.

The cooling jackets from gotta-brew are awesome! I just got 2 more, so I can now run 4 fermenters on my glycol system at once.

They are a very easy and simple solution to this problem. the only caution I would have is that
they are very pressure sensitive. They say right on the site that you must limit glocol/liquid PSI to 8psi or less.. they really mean it. (ask me how I know) Just pay attention to the pump you use for circulating coolant.
I was thinking of just using an old cooler and ice water, that should work right? Also i have a 14 gallon morebeer conical for 10 gallon batches would i need 2 cooling jackets?

I'd ask the gotta brew folks about what you should get. I don't have any conicals so have no practical experience to guide you with.

Cooler with ice water, march or similar strength submersible pump and an inkbird should definitely get you started. I would also invest in some form of insulation. Your ice will last longer that way.

The only issue with ice water in a cooler is that you need to check the ice often. Depends on your ambient temp mostly but if check it every 6 to 8 hours for the first couple days of fermentation. Then likely every 12hrs after depending on weather and how fast the ice goes for the first couple days. I think you'll get a feel for it pretty quick

Not that you need too but cold crashing with ice is basically impossible.

Lagering with ice is possible for primary fermentation but unpractical for extended aging time

Here is a link to a DIY peltier cooling system similar to the MB unit.

I think the glycol jacketed option would be cheaper and definitely has more cooling power if you make an AC glycol chiller.

Unless you are a lot more patient than I am, I don't think you'll be happy with pumped icewater chilling for long. I guess it depends on what you are looking to do with it but it will be tedious, and provide inconsistent temp control. I went looking for a calculator to find the amount of ice required to lower 11 gal of water 1 degree but could not find it quickly, if I get time later I will try to work out the calculations in excel, I think you would be surprised just how many pounds of ice you would need for a week long fermentation.

I would put granular fermentation temperature control right near the very top of the list as ways to make improvements in the quality of your beer.

Pics and detailed description of heated and cooled conical / glycol chiller build are linked in my signature.

Alright, so I couldn’t handle not knowing…

-1# of ice has roughly 160,500 joules of energy to give up during the melting process
-11 Gal of beer will require roughly 116,500 joules of energy to cool 1 degree.
-So it would roughly take ¾# of ice to cool the fermentor one degree

This is just to be used as a reference, you are likely using this to maintain temps during fermentation, I’m not sure how much heat is generated by the fermentation over how much time. I’m not sure how well insulated the fermentor will be or what the room temperature is in comparison to the fermentation temp.

Assumptions:
-Ice starts at 15* F
-Fermentor has a 12 watt fountain pump being used to circulate ice water
-Fermentor takes 11 minutes of circulating ice water to cool 1 degree F
-Cooling system is 90% efficient in the transfer of heat (not likely that its that high)

Let me know if you’d want me to post more details on the calculations.

Latest posts

Back