DIY Ale Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyejb

Reaction score
Lowes now has food grade buckets. $4 for the bucket and $1.50 for the lids. Drill a hole for the grommet (< .50) and you have a nice new ale pail for considerable less than the $15 from the homebrew store.

I'm not a fan of blow off tubes but if its a 6 gallon or higher I'd pick one up.

If you are talking about their grey paint buckets:
-They are #2 plastic, which is HDPE, which is food grade
-They are 5 gallons when filled to the brim. Useless for a 5 gallon batch, great for 3 gallon batches.

They do come in handy though, I use one for crushing grains, and another for holding sanitizer.

They have new white ones specifically slated as "food safe" now in my local Lowes

I think it might only be a 4G though...it looks smaller but that might have been my eyes, I didn't pick it up or anything.

The white ones are 5 gallons too. I looked at those when I was getting buckets to hold grain. The grey ones are the exact same plastic, just a different color. The lids for the white ones have a gasket, so they should seal better, so better for 3-4 gallon fermentations.

I'll use the grey ones I have for grain, and StarSan. I'll keep fermenting in stainless steel...

Back