DIY A/C unit glycol chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I made a DIY glycol chiller. It just has water in it now, and the SSR in my Fermentrack controller is having trouble. So I've been manually turning it on for a while to chill the tank.
But last night I plugged it in and left it on for 12 hours straight. It's a big block of ice in the tank (Igloo cooler).

1. did I ruin my A/C unit (compressor, hot side) letting it run for 12 hours straight on full cool?
2. Might I have ruined the cooling fins/piping side that sits in the water?

Maybe that block of ice is still melting?

I am also curious of the result. Most of the compressors I have seen have "overload protection" which appears to be a temp sensor. That should have protected the compressor.

It's not a glycol chiller of you use water, isn't it?

Isn't glycol supposed to keep the water from freezing?

I bet no harm to system. Had seen many diy chillers with the big ice block. In deed is a way to store more “coold”, since ice could go below 0C

Should be fine, the block of ice is probably proof of that. Usually the evaporator freezes internally, in which case you end up with a vacuum on the low(cold) side of the compressor and no pressure on the high(hot) side. Now, there is a real good chance that you could have a hole in the evaporator from the frozen ice, you'd know that as soon as it thawed from almost every sense(certainly taste and smell of the air, atomized AC oil is gross).

Running at odd angles would be one of the only worries for a system, you don't want to pull liquid refrigerant into the compressor, liquids don't compress and something has to give... When I say all this I have no idea if these smaller(newer) units even have much oil if any. Might be like the new "oil-less" air compressors where oil-less really just means "limited-life".

Back