Distilling.. Legal...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also do cornmeal instead, I do a no cook method and not boil corn muck for 1.5 hours PITA

I usually get 1.065 1.070 on my AG mashes and ferment on the grain.

Honey Bear Bourbon is at the top of my list and is a fine bourbon indeed, it's in the tried and true section, I do love rum though but had to make my own due to people making it rocket science for some reason.
Or you can do Breiss Flaked corn. Least mess of all, I have heard and no cereal mash needed as it's pre-gelatinized. ;)

Also on the original subject, once a majority people on here understand what this forum is for and what it is not for, it would be nice to not have ever new person coming in beat ilegality like a dead horse in every 10th comment. I humbly suggest a sticky and enforcement by warnings and quick deletions of legality posts in 'non-legality' threads.

Well whether or not you are in the US, this forum previously had a "no discussion of distilling" policy, so it's not that bizzar to wonder why the sudden change. And where else are you supposed to post a "legality" question about distilling other than on the distilling thread?

You could also do cornmeal instead, I do a no cook method and not boil corn muck for 1.5 hours PITA

I usually get 1.065 1.070 on my AG mashes and ferment on the grain.

Honey Bear Bourbon is at the top of my list and is a fine bourbon indeed, it's in the tried and true section, I do love rum though but had to make my own due to people making it rocket science for some reason.
I don't think cornmeal will work with my system it will fall through my false bottom. then again I don't have to boil it after the mash!

Well sorry for the thread derail. But my question was answered here and not yet in the winemaking thread. Well my fermentation has taken off like a rocket over the course of the day. I guess the yeast was a little old an not stored correctly, so there was a bit of a lag time until they reproduced enough for vigorous fermentation. CO2 is basically blowing straight through the airlock now. I'll check gravity in a few hours and maybe add a little more nutrients. I added less than suggested at the beginning and plan on adding the rest half way through.

Glad to hear the ferment took off, sometimes I've had a lag with ec1118.

It's all a mess with ag unless you have a thumper and then you could strip right on the grains.

If you dont have a thumper, you should do a few stripping runs then a spirit run.

Unless you have a flute, then just run on 2 plates with no reflux.

Well sorry for the thread derail. But my question was answered here and not yet in the winemaking thread. Well my fermentation has taken off like a rocket over the course of the day. I guess the yeast was a little old an not stored correctly, so there was a bit of a lag time until they reproduced enough for vigorous fermentation. CO2 is basically blowing straight through the airlock now. I'll check gravity in a few hours and maybe add a little more nutrients. I added less than suggested at the beginning and plan on adding the rest half way through.

I had a stuck fermentation with my first sugar wash, added a can of tomato paste and few tbsp;s of lemon juice and its ripping now.

I'm also using ec118.

You could distill a mead. The good mead flavors are pretty volatile and don't like heat so I would think that distilling wouldn't be favorable. I think I'd be happy with the 19% and stick to that.

What about freezing it? Let's make an Eisbock Mead?

I've run a mead through a pot still and agree with the above comments that you lose most of the flavors typically associated with mead. If I were to do it again I might consider proofing the liquor down with undistilled mead instead of water to back sweeten it a little. Good honey is not cheap and making mead takes some time. To me it is easier and cheaper to make a rum or rye wash.

Start your research now:)

It takes dedication and devotion but it's definitely worth the investment of time to learn not to get hurt or hurt anyone else.

Homedistiller.org/forums Has by far the best wealth of knowledge of any other site. Anyone who may be interested in home distilling should do alot ALOT ALOT of reading before jumping in heels down.

I've had the pleasure of meeting some fine folks and tasting some of their spirits and will say that if you invest the time/research you can make a quality spirit unmatched by the big commercial boys.

how long would you age 500ml of 50% in about 14grams of medium american oak? Its only been a few days and the colour is brown. Its my first corn/malt/sugar recipe.

Done another small batch today 7lbs cracked corn and 5lbs of pilsner only got 1044 at 17 liters. Would you boil the corn or mash longer to improve? Being equal.

Last edited:
how long would you age 500ml of 50% in about 14grams of medium american oak? Its only been a few days and the colour is brown. Its my first corn/malt/sugar recipe.
What type of oak? Spirals, cubes, chips and honeycomb all give off flavours at different speeds and intensities.

The colour will happen relatively fast compared to flavour, which will happen nuch faster than mellowing. Personally I would use this one as a test batch and start sampling after a week tops, and check it every 2 days until it gets to the level of oak you like. I've converted a few batches of ever clear into a surprisingly good whiskey knock off in the past doing it this way.

Also what is the temperature and humidity like in the room you are infusing it in? Higher heat and humidity will speed up the aging but also increase the risk of over oaking.

Shaking it lightly regularly will also help both with the infusing and evening out any flavours though it will increase the particles present.

I suggested that earlier in the thread but never heard from anyone who’s tried it, kinda of curious myself

Honeyjack can be pretty good, depending in the meads flavour. When you freeze and remove the water, all the flavours, and more importantly the sweetness, will be increased. It works best with a barely semi sweet or a dry mead that you sweeten afterwards.

You can indeed own a still. It was thought that it had to be a gallon or less, not true. However be advised. If indeed you buy a still, at any time the BATF can request from a retailer to have all records on who has purchased a still and not need a warrant or writ of assistance to do so. On that note, you can easily obtain a Federal Fuel license which will allow inspection of your distilling shed to make sure you are not going to blow any one up, however you must use that distilled grain in your Lawn Mower or small engines... So you are not allowed to drink your lawn mower fuel.... To get a regular license here in the land of the free...ahem; it is about as expensive as a liquor license. Not to hard to find statutes and laws for your area via this new search engine called Google. If indeed you do buy a STILL and the unlikely event that the BATF come knocking, if you are distilling water or essential Oil with it you are just fine. FWIW. Ain't you ever heard Shine called lawn mower fuel?

You can indeed own a still. It was thought that it had to be a gallon or less, not true. However be advised. If indeed you buy a still, at any time the BATF can request from a retailer to have all records on who has purchased a still and not need a warrant or writ of assistance to do so. On that note, you can easily obtain a Federal Fuel license which will allow inspection of your distilling shed to make sure you are not going to blow any one up, however you must use that distilled grain in your Lawn Mower or small engines... So you are not allowed to drink your lawn mower fuel.... To get a regular license here in the land of the free...ahem; it is about as expensive as a liquor license. Not to hard to find statutes and laws for your area via this new search engine called Google. If indeed you do buy a STILL and the unlikely event that the BATF come knocking, if you are distilling water or essential Oil with it you are just fine. FWIW. Ain't you ever heard Shine called lawn mower fuel?

It depends on the state, In Florida, it is clearly, absolutely, written in stone, clear as day illegal to own a still or the products to make distilled spirits. The law does not cover the fact nearly everything used has another purpose, that is for the judge and or jury...

Yes, you can get a fuel license, and that is highly recommended, because what that will do is keep the Feds from being required to seize your equipment and house/land... (again, for clarity, "the personal property of that person located in the distillery, and that person's interest in the tract of land on which the still is located, SHALL be forfeited to the United States" means that the prosecutor or judge does not have a choice, shall means MUST!)

actual federal law saying shall seize:
  1. Under 26 U.S.C. 5615(3), whenever any person carries on the business of a distiller without having given the required bond or with the intent to defraud the United States of tax on distilled spirits, the personal property of that person located in the distillery, and that person's interest in the tract of land on which the still is located, shall be forfeited to the United States.

It depends on the state, In Florida, it is clearly, absolutely, written in stone, clear as day illegal to own a still or the products to make distilled spirits. The law does not cover the fact nearly everything used has another purpose, that is for the judge and or jury...

Yes, you can get a fuel license, and that is highly recommended, because what that will do is keep the Feds from being required to seize your equipment and house/land... (again, for clarity, "the personal property of that person located in the distillery, and that person's interest in the tract of land on which the still is located, SHALL be forfeited to the United States" means that the prosecutor or judge does not have a choice, shall means MUST!)

actual federal law saying shall seize:
  1. Under 26 U.S.C. 5615(3), whenever any person carries on the business of a distiller without having given the required bond or with the intent to defraud the United States of tax on distilled spirits, the personal property of that person located in the distillery, and that person's interest in the tract of land on which the still is located, shall be forfeited to the United States.
Just another reason for a revolution... The Kings and Queens dictate what you can grow, and put in your bodies. I was reading Dad's statute and not Mom's. federal as I stated by State as you stated. Fuel License only in backwards Florida.

Last edited:
Just another reason for a revolution... The Kings and Queens dictate what you can grow, and put in your bodies. I was reading Dad's statute and not Mom's. federal as I stated by State as you stated. Fuel License only in backwards Florida.

I saw your unedited reply to my post in my email, thank you for doing your research and correcting, I urge you to pick up the phone and call your senator and representative after reading the last section of the "craft beverage modernization act of 2015" and urge them to bring this back to congress!

Good ol' Missouri lets you distill up to 200 gallons annually even though it's illegal Federally.
It's like asking each parent for permission where one says "No" and the other "Yes."
You'll go with the answer you're seeking. Just don't sell it!

Back