Distilled or spring water to extract for cool down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm doing extract brewing, and I don't have a wort chiller. What I do is put 3 1-gallon jugs of water in the fridge, then add them after the boil to get the cool-down going fast (and an ice bath around the fermenter).

My question is:
I understand since I'm doing extract, the mineral content of the water isn't AS important, so using distilled water SHOULD be ok... But if I wanted to use spring water just because, is that generally sanitized enough (in those grocery store jugs) for me to add that after the boil?

Thank you for any feedback!
Liam

I used spring water for many years without issues.

Ditto.. Find one you like and use that. For me I always picked up the just under 1 gallon poland springs bottles from Walmart.

I dipped the top of the container in the starsan bucket, and spray it once its open. It might be overkill, but rather be safe then sorry.

If you're buying it anyway, why not just buy distilled?

If you have a recipe that you rebrew once in a while, try spotting water in one and distilled in the next, and do your own taste test.

Well my question is less about taste than it is about the sanitation of the jugs of water.
Like tzaccario said, sanitizing the outside of the jug a given... is the content, the spring water, sanitized for bacterial infection like distilled water is?

(But I guess I see your point... if distilled water tastes just fine anyway, then just keep using that and don't even worry about spring.)

Latest posts

Back