Distilled or RO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally use distilled water with my StarSan, it keeps it clear and usable. But was wondering if RO water would be a good alternative to Distilled water for StarSan?

True RO water (ie: that hasn't had minerals added back in ala some store brands) should work quite well with Star San.
And if the RO TDS is very low it should perform well (maintain ph < 3) for a similar time span...

Cheers!

I use RO in mine and its usually less then 10ppm . Had it my bottle for months and still good to go.

I use RO for my Star San. My 5 gallon buckets last just like when I used to buy distilled. My RO system puts out product with about 5 ppm TDS.

I use well water ran thru a water softener and it works well. My water softener went out once and the way I found out was the star san will turn the water milky if the water is not soft.

I also use test trips and RO, Distilled and tap water test fine for two months. Never try longer because I just mix more at that point.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use tap water and mix a new batch for each brewing session. You must be trying to save it for reuse later???

I seem to use about 1 oz or less per brewing session for 2-5 gallons which cost about $1.50. I do keep a spray bottle full which, according to John Palmer, should last virtually forever if sealed. Why would I pay for bottled water to try to save it longer and then have to wonder if it is good? Maybe I am missing something.

I use RO in mine and its usually less then 10ppm . Had it my bottle for months and still good to go.

Me too - my Starsan stays clear for months when mixed with RO water like this. In contrast, it goes cloudy within a few days with our tap water.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use tap water and mix a new batch for each brewing session. You must be trying to save it for reuse later???

I seem to use about 1 oz or less per brewing session for 2-5 gallons which cost about $1.50. I do keep a spray bottle full which, according to John Palmer, should last virtually forever if sealed. Why would I pay for bottled water to try to save it longer and then have to wonder if it is good? Maybe I am missing something.

It's just the case that mineral-free water mixed with StarSan lasts a really long time. StarSan is relatively expensive so why not. I happen to brew with RO water so it's convenient.

Just out of curiosity, why not just use tap water and mix a new batch for each brewing session. You must be trying to save it for reuse later???[...]

Mixing Star San everytime one needs it must be a pita.
Besides all the regular uses, I use Star San for keg purging so I keep at least ~5.5 gallons on hand, always...

Cheers!

I've been brewing/winemaking for 20+ years. I'm my second bottle of Star-San since 2006.

Instead of mixing it up everytime I need some (Hydrometer checks, racking my wine, brew day, kegging day, etc), I just open the gallon jug and get what I need. Not only is that much cheaper, it's way more convenient too. I normally mix up a gallon at a time, using 1/4 ounce I believe (the line is on the measurer). So it last a long time anyway- but it lasts forever if you just reuse it.

I end up spilling it with the transfers of it, rather than having it become effective.

Back