Dissident dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success proping up yeast from a bottle of Deschuttes Dissident? I was gonna give it a shot, but was wondering if anyone else has tried, and how it worked out for them.

It's on the list of unpasteurized beers from the Mad Fermentationist, but it also says that's it filtered, so it might be difficult. That's a good idea though. Maybe I'll shoot them an email.

They got back to me real fast! They said its unpasteurized and unfiltered. They I should be able to get something out of it, but it might be tough with just one bottle. I've had success using just one bottle from other beers, so I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the advice, that was a good idea.

if you have time, you could try pitching a half-cup of weak (1.020) starter wort directly into the bottle, on top off the dregs. essentially do a started inside the bottle.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin I wanted to try that with too. I just have to remember to leave the last drink in the bottle.

Yeah, I did. I just bottles it though, and haven't tried it yet. What I tasted at bottling was really good though. It was just a gallon test batch. I soured some wheat extract wort, and then pitched the yeast, and it went crazy. I was going to let it sit in the bottle for a couple more weeks then give it a try. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Back