Disposable oxygen bottles in Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
I’ve been using the same small bernzomatic oxygen bottle with my oxygenation kit for a while now so I know it’s bound to kick at some point soon. Anyone in the DC/Maryland area have any idea of where to find these? Google yields me store after store with none in stock or available.

I've heard it's the same way in many places around the country. Fortunately I haven't been impacted because I switched to large, refillable cylinder format several years ago.

Do you have Ace Hardware or TruValue in your area? The little boutique hardware stores are sometimes the last to run out things.

I’ve been trying to get a hold of a couple Ace hardware stores this afternoon but no such luck. The one I bought my last tank from is “temporarily closed” so that’s out as well. How expensive was the shift from disposable to refillable?

I’ve been trying to get a hold of a couple Ace hardware stores this afternoon but no such luck. The one I bought my last tank from is “temporarily closed” so that’s out as well. How expensive was the shift from disposable to refillable?

A decent regulator is ~$20
Deposit on the bottle - depends on your vendor and bottle size
gas cost - pretty cheap - inline with co2

As I recall, the O2 cylinder cost about the same as a comparably sized CO2 cylinder. O2 regulator about $45. The best thing (after the initial investment) is that the big O2 tanks last a long time. Those little disposable benzomatic cylinders are insanely expensive for the amount of O2 contained.

I might have to go the route of refillable. My only option it seems is to have my parents buy one back home at a small local shop and cart it with them next time they visit! Less than ideal…

Have you looked on CL, Marketplace, or other local online private sales venues for an O2 tank?
I bought a 60 cf one, used and empty, for $60. Then had it swapped for a full 40 cf one for $9, IIRC. That was 5 years ago.
It should last me 20 brew lives...

Now, in hindsight, I should have had that 60cf one filled instead, at a different place. It was a much better looking tank. ;)

As an alternative, you could bubble (filtered) air through your wort for an hour, or longer, or do a second aeration 6-12 hours later.

Or use an air compressor at low psi !!! on your stone for 30'

Or use an air compressor at low psi !!!

Atmospheric air being only about 20% O2 would need more time, but plenty of brewers use it. Tried and True.

if you go this route.... definitely use one of the disposable sterile filters 0.2 micron at low pressure. For an air compressor I would even think about replacing it after each use. With an aquarium pump it will also serve to remove any airborne particulate.

Bacteria ranges from 1-10 microns, I have serious doubts about the efficiency of the disposable filters but they are better than nothing. I specialize in compressed gas treatment, compressed air will be wet and dirty and can provide an environment for bacterial or fungal growth especially in a tank-mounted unit (think dark, wet, plenty of O2).

I notice green O2 tanks online every now and then, probably a home breathing apparatus but would be very nice to have for brewing. Judging by the growing pile of red cylinders I have in my garage I might go this route myself. When I empty 1 red cylinder I start shopping for 2 more.

I was going nuts 2 weeks ago trying to find one of these. Is this a supply chain thing or some change in law?

same here and haven't really solved it yet

last batch I used an air compressor through a hepa filter through my Spike carbonation stone for 15 minutes. Got a lot of foam in the fermentor but really fast strong start to fermentation. However I used new dry yeast packets and I think these are supposed to do fine even in oxygenated wort.

I was going nuts 2 weeks ago trying to find one of these. Is this a supply chain thing or some change in law?

Supply Chain is my understanding.

However I used new dry yeast packets and I think these are supposed to do fine even in oxygenated wort.

Yep. Modern dry yeast doesn't really need additional O2, because it already has "full" sterol reserves built before drying, so it wouldn't be using O2 to build more before fermentation.

compressed air will be wet and dirty and can provide an environment for bacterial or fungal growth especially in a tank-mounted unit (think dark, wet, plenty of O2).
Yeah, compressor air must be filthy, you can smell it. Plus some add a plume of oil to it for good measure. Remember, compressor's have a drain plug for a reason.

Palmer's 3rd Ed. book shows a tube filled with cotton wool dampened with Starsan as a filter when using an aquarium pump.

Before buying an O2 tank, I always splashed the wort into the fermenter, then whisked for 3-5 minutes, creating a lot of foam. Better something than nothing.

The CO2 shortage thing is real and is the result of industries that produced CO2 as a by-product having dialed back or even shut down during the pandemic and that have yet to fully recover. It will resolve, eventually...

Cheers!

If the CO2 shortage starts to hit me I’ll have to go back to straight cask ales again.

I did see a couple listings on Craigslist but most were fairly expensive or kind of sketchy. Guess my current course of action is to have one brought down from WNY

Those would work. But note that 8 of those 9 tanks are medical tanks and require a different type of regulator than the kind brewing supply stores normally sell. The largest one (that has a regulator attached in the pic, the kind brewing supply stores do sell) is non-medical.
Oh, that’s right. I guess I’ll keep looking for a smaller one. I don’t really want to store that big one.

Those little red tanks were great and lasted me a while.

But note that 8 of those 9 tanks are medical tanks and require a different type of regulator than the kind brewing supply stores normally sell.
And you'd probably need a prescription to get those filled.
They have a "yoke" connection, the regulator slides over it, then a large screw holds it in place. Easier to swap.
I've seen plenty of those yoke regs on eBay.

I bought a brand new regulator (flow controller) off eBay for $30 or so. It goes down to 1/32 liter per minute (1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 ... 2, 4, 8 l/m). I like those low settings when oxygenating starters or small jugs.

And you'd probably need a prescription to get those filled.
They have a "yoke" connection, the regulator slides over it, then a large screw holds it in place. Easier to swap.

I bought a filled "Food Grade" oxygen tank. Uses the same medical yoke style regulator. Tank will last me forever
Expensive up front, but haven't spent a dime on oxygen since. Buy once cry once.
I am not Mr. Environmental at all, but thoose little red tanks were so wasteful for me.
What's nice about the yoke style is you can set the regulator by Liter per Minute. Easier to dial in your exact preference.

Yeah, the first one is what I posted a few days ago. Most have the wrong regulator connection and you said I might need a rx to get those filled ;)

I think I found someone near bwi selling both an oxygen and a acetylene tank who is willing to sell me just the the 02.

I ended up getting one of these and a blichman flow meter: New 15 cuft Oxygen Cylinder | Gas Cylinder Source

Anyone know where I can get it filled, as opposed to swapped?

Airgas and Roberts swap. Which is fine, I guess. But I imagine one fill of this thing is going to last years, so I don't mind going through a bit more effort to keep the shiny cylinder. I'm near college park, but anywhere from Rockville, to Baltimore, to Annapolis would be great.

I couldn't find any in Home Depot/Lowes, but I found them in stock at my local Napa Auto parts store. Grabbed 2 bottles over the weekend.

I hear ya about keeping your nice tank! 15 cu feet may last a lifetime of brewing.

Poist Gas in Laurel (on Rte. 1) used to do fills. They had 2 locations there, one only swapped. Call em up or call around.

Any decent welding gas outfit should be able to fill too.

and a blichman flow meter
Does that include a regulator as well?

I hear ya about keeping your nice tank! 15 cu feet may last a lifetime of brewing.

Poist Gas in Laurel (on Rte. 1) used to do fills. They had 2 locations there, one only swapped. Call em up or call around.

Any decent welding gas outfit should be able to fill too.

That's where I go for co2 but I called and they don't do oxygen.

Yeah, its the "flow regulator" actually. Oxygen Flow Regulator

I ended up getting one of these and a blichman flow meter: New 15 cuft Oxygen Cylinder | Gas Cylinder Source

Anyone know where I can get it filled, as opposed to swapped?

Airgas and Roberts swap. Which is fine, I guess. But I imagine one fill of this thing is going to last years, so I don't mind going through a bit more effort to keep the shiny cylinder. I'm near college park, but anywhere from Rockville, to Baltimore, to Annapolis would be great.
I know i am poking a bear here....

But since this is oxygen (and not C02) and will be introduced pre- fermentation...
Me personally- I would NOT want to trust a 'local fill' - especially from a welding shop! Might be worth getting a 'food grade' swap from a trusted medical grade company (like airgas or praxxair) so you can trust not only the fill process but the gas, too.
As for losing the shiny tank.... stickers? Paint it? Hide it in the corner of the garage when not in use?

Yeah, I’m going to end up just swapping at airgas. It’s not a big deal, just a minor preference. But all the places I’ve called only swap anyway.
I had a shiny new C02 tank for like a year... i would hunt for places that would fill it.... but once i started swapping my life got so much easier.

I had a shiny new C02 tank for like a year... i would hunt for places that would fill it.... but once i started swapping my life got so much easier.
It does kind'a suck when you trade your nice shiny and clean tank and get an old klunker in return. But somebody has to be the one introducing newer tanks into service, I just wish it wasn't me.
But throw back a couple home brews and the feeling fades.

Back