Dishwasher soap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
First time brewer and think I made a rookie mistake. I ran my bottles through the dishwasher using dish detergent and some jet dry. After doing so, I learned this is a "no, no" and can leave soap film in the bottle, killing the head and taste. What is my next step for redeeming the bottles? I am currently soaking bottles in hot water with some OxyClean. Any other tips or suggestions for getting rid of the leftover residue? Thanks so much!

Oxyclean should get rid of the soap residue.

Just don't soak too long in Oxyclean (think a couple hours, not days), because then you'll get a gritty residue from that.

You want a bottle brush. And any bottles you drink or pour out of you want to rinse and flush right away so they don't crust up inside. I rinse mine well then use hot water baking soda. and a bottle brush then rinse well with hot water again. If I have labels on them then I soak them in hot water,then run a small stream of hot water while using a small pan scraper to get the label off, oxyclean works though. I just use hot water and elbow grease. If the labels are really bad and sticky I use some goo gone for a few minutes then wash it off with a soapy rag and rinse again.

Use a bottle brush and rinse them really good inside. They also sell bottle jet washers to make it easier,just hooking it up to your faucet it uses pressure. Even sanitize them if you want then turn upside down to dry before storing. Then on bottleing day sanitize again, I like to flush them with hot water a little before sanitizing again though, that's just me. Try not to use crusty/moldy bottles, ever. Bad idea. Hard to clean and you need to be shure they are completely clean. Probably something pbw and a bottle brush could take care of though.

Thanks guys. Been soaking for 45 min or so. I'll go an hour. Scrub like a mad man and then B brite them before storage. Looking to bottle on 2/22ish

My roommates did this because they're too lazy to hand wash a few plates (I keep my bottles in the dishwasher after rinsing them). I just rinsed them all out in the sink and then ran them in the dishwasher again without any detergent or soap. Seemed to work fine.

If you give a bottle a vigorous triple rinse immediately after pouring, this will generally get them good and clean. You still may need a bottle brush just in case there is any built up crud inside. I sanitize my bottles by loading them in the dishwasher and run the sanitize cycle. No soap. I do it the night before because it takes forever.

I soaK mine for a couple hours in Oxy, rinse, then a few mins in Star-San...works great

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

The post about soaking in Oxiclean (not Oxyclean) and having residue is not a definite. It depends on the content of the water you soak them in. I currently have probably 30 bottles soaking in a big bucket in Oxiclean solution for 3-4 days now because I haven't gotten to cleaning them. I have done this before and as long as I give a good hot water rinse there's no residue. Just saying that it's not a definite that if you leave them longer than a couple hours you're screwed.

- ISM NRP

Yeah. I use a tablespoon of oxi per 5 gallons of water. Very diluted but does the trick. Once opened it up to find a bunch of nasties floating at the top from some beers that hung out after a tailgate unrinsed

Sent from my HTC One

Oxy clean in minimal concentration still leaves a film that needs to be rinsed regardless...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back