Dishwasher Sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc23

Reaction score
So, I have all of my bottles in the dishwasher and plan on using that to sanitize. The thought is to fill the bottles as I remove each one from the washer. This is my second batch, so I'm new obviously.

Any thoughts on this method? Adequate sanitizing?

Thanks very much folks!

I've heard of people doing this, but I don't know how good of job it does.

I'd inspect all of the bottles. You shouldn't load any into the machine if they have yeast deposits on the insides.

They need to be pretty clean from the gitgo.

Use the heated drying cycle. Like Soulive said, make sure the there's no detergent residue or Jet-Dry in the door. Mine has a jet-dry rinse port for topping off w/ jet-dry. I've never tried it because of this feature.

Just a reminder: you can't sanitize a bottle that isn't clean. (ie. residue in the bottle obstructs sanitation).

I put all my clean bottles on the counter top. Then I take my starsan spray bottle (on the fine mist setting) and do a couple sprays in each bottle. I spray near the rim of the bottle. With the fine mist setting, the starsan will drip down the sides of the bottle getting even coverage. When I'm finished spraying, I twirl each bottle around as I put it into the dishwasher upside down. Then I put on the heated dry cycle.

That's my process.

Oh yeah, before I start spraying the bottles I throw some caps into a bowl of starsan. When I cap I pull out one-by-one and flick off the excess sanitizer.

My process is similar, I run the DW empty with nothing in it, then load the bottles which have been sanitized with your choice (I use one step) and run the heated dry cycle. I place the bottling bucket on top of the washer, pull out a tray of bottles, and go to town. Fill 'em up and pass to an assistant who caps.

Some people use the dishwasher's heated drying cycle, some use a low bake in the oven. Personally, I much prefer using a no-rinse sanitizer like Star-San. It will do the job without worry, it's cheap, and it's easy to use.

As long as you have clean bottles to work with, the dishwasher will work just fine. I've bottled 20+ batches this way, no problems.

I use heated dry, and my dishwasher actually has a Sanitize option.

Back