Dishwasher for bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaddy68

Reaction score
Is it good enough to use a dishwasher on a 70deg celcius setting to clean my bottles prior to bottling, or should I sterilise. The beer is going to be drunk within a couple of weeks, and these aren't dirty bottles, they are ones that I have used and already rinsed out?

I use my dishwasher on pots and pans (longest and hottest) and turn on the heated dry cycle.

I wash my bottles in Oxyclean free, rinse then set them in crates coverd with a towel. When I'm ready to bottle I pull about 50 bottles out of the crates and run them through the dishwasher. They stay there until bottling time. I used to shoot some starsan in them but that was just overkill IMHO.

I've never had issues of any kind. I've beer bottled for over a year so far and its fine.

Thanks Diver165, I'll give it a go and then spend a couple of weeks doing quality control and taste testing. Tough work !!!! Lol

You can certainly sanitize your pre-cleaned bottles in the dishwasher, using the heat cycle. Diver's tip about leaving them there until ready is a good one - they'll need some time to cool off, and they won't pick up anything airborne if you keep the door closed.

Just don't use detergent when you sanitize - any residue is likely to do horrible things to head retention.

YES, YES...I forgot about that. DO NOT use any dishwasher detergent!!! I should have been more clear! I appologize.

And do NOT put bottles with labels on them in the dishwasher. You'll spend days trying to get the small paper remnants out of bottles!

Many thanks for all this help. Well the brew is on, a light IPA, with some afterboil new Zealand hops added for good measure. Looking forward to the brewing experience. I work for a large commercial brewer, but this is my first homebrew.

Back