Discussion: I'm burning out on beers > 1.065 SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets get one thing straight. Session Beers is not a new concept, it's just a new name brand for an ancient movement. Belgian brewers have made both Patersbier and Dark Strongs for centuries on end.

I like variety and brew beers from 4% to 12%. There are some days where a couple of low gravity beers sounds good. There are other days when I come home from work and reach for that bomber of an 11% Tripel. AHHHHH.

This right here.... if you can have that variety, all the better. Kind of like only having hamburger in the freezer vs. having steaks and chops and bacon.... plenty of BACON!!....oh, sorry.... :drunk: I myself go through weeks of drinking doubles, imperials, black IPA's anything 8-12%.....then I'll be like....oof.... too much tonight.... and I'll pull out a Corona clone, or a blue moon clone, or an All Day IPA, or one of my own lower IBU/ABV concoctions..... is a mood thang.....

I do have the luxury of a big pipe....

Really? Now yer just braggin' :D

This right here.... if you can have that variety, all the better. Kind of like only having hamburger in the freezer vs. having steaks and chops and bacon.... plenty of BACON!!....oh, sorry.... :drunk: I myself go through weeks of drinking doubles, imperials, black IPA's anything 8-12%.....then I'll be like....oof.... too much tonight.... and I'll pull out a Corona clone, or a blue moon clone, or an All Day IPA, or one of my own lower IBU/ABV concoctions..... is a mood thang.....

Really? Now yer just braggin' :D

That's not what she says..

Want to be popular, appeal to the lowest common denominator. Take your artisanal, gorgeous product and dumb it down to give it mass appeal.

Do you want to make art or money? No one would ever say McDonalds makes the best hamburger, but boy do they sell a lot of ****ty ones.

What's the biggest craft beer by a landslide - I'll give you a hint, it's American Amber Lager from MA. Very approachable, very sessionable. Boring.

Stone has been used as an example. How many people, even real craft drinkers, would drink more than 3 Ruinations in a sitting - or do that more than twice a week? (I would, but I'm never giving up hops) Now how many BMC drinkers would drink even 1/2 a bottle? So you want to grab some Joe Sixpack market share - you appeal to his sensibility. Low ABV, low IBU beer you can slug down 3 of with dinner.

I personally don't make high-ABV brews on a regular basis. Here's what's brewing and either actual or anticipated ABV's:

ESB: 5.9%
Brett Saison(s): 8.0% (the outlier here)
Pale Ale: 5.2%
Apollo-Bravo IPA: 6.9%

I much prefer brewing stuff I can enjoy a few of before being plastered.

However, my ideas may be a bit biased because I am trying to start my own brewery and I would like to have a lineup of semi-sessionable beers when we open - I want people to be able to drink and spend money and enjoy good beer, not forget to pay!

Yeah beer is stupid anyway. why the heck would we worry with it? Its only the proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.... but what does he know?:D:drunk:

I have been brewing for 3-4 years now and on this forum for the same amount of time.

And I can honestly say that I have no idea what a general preference home brewers have when it comes to beer. I think we are all over the place.

I have tried Barley Wines, dont like them.
Double Imperial Stouts, not my thing.
On tap Left Hand Brewery, Voo Doo American Stout, 8% alcohol... loved it.

I think my threshold is that I do not want to taste the alcohol (thats what scotch is for), I want flavorful beer.

So for me 4-6% is about right, but a great IIPA at 7.5% is still in there.

I like a well balanced beer. That includes the ABV being reasonable. 1.060 ± .005 tends to be my preference.

These days 80% of my beers have an OG in the 1.050's or lower.

I enjoy the occasional big dark and roasty beers but DIPAs are just not something I care to drink anymore.

Back