Discrepancies in recipe when importing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to brew an old favourite of mine, its a zombie dust clone from the BS recipe collection.
I now use Brewfather instead of Beersmith so I'm trying to import the recipe into BF and then once scaled this is where things seem weird..
Here is the recipe I'm trying to brew, with the authors original grain weights etc.
1603286413382.png

This is the recipe That I'm getting given when imported to BF and then scaled to my equipment.
1603286523845.png

Now.. the original authors recipe is for a 5.5G batch size, which BS has converted to 20.82L as I use metric.

My brew is for a 21L batch size, so almost identical, bar 180ml.

However, as you can see my new recipe calls for LESS grain, but MORE hops.

Can anyone help me get my head around why this is?

All the best,

Don

Have only dabbled with BrewFather, so not an expert on it...but my first thought is that your Brewhouse efficiency setting in Brewfather is higher than in Beersmith, so reducing the grain? And check the hop utilization rate in Brewfather vs what you have in Beersmith...seems like lower utilization, which would mean more hops needed.

Have only dabbled with BrewFather, so not an expert on it...but my first thought is that your Brewhouse efficiency setting in Brewfather is higher than in Beersmith, so reducing the grain? And check the hop utilization rate in Brewfather vs what you have in Beersmith...seems like lower utilization, which would mean more hops needed.
Bingo.. His BH efficiency is set 3% lower than mine so that explains it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back