Discoloration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chjohnson622

Reaction score
Ok I'm gathering equipment to build a 2nd kegerator. I have some misc parts laying around they were filthy so I soaked them in star San over night and they cleaned up but looks like it may have removed some of the chrome plating. Kind of a dumb question but should I have concerns about using them. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407434118.346671.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407434178.129475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I personally would not use them. Star san is acidic and while diluted, I think it could eat through certain plated metals if given time.

I believe that it did eat some of the chrome plating off and left the bronze or brass (not sure which) but why would the be bad.

soak a rag in vinegar then dip the rag in a little bit of salt then scrub away. That is the oxidized brass that you are seeing it should clean up just fine. You can use it all the only problem I see is with the sliding valve piece. Sometimes the loss of finish can create leaks and or sticking. If its very stubborn you can use fine steel wool and some vinegar or brass polish. If you use brass polish just rinse it off well and then dry it quickly. I know that the local brass guy here uses Brasso for a polish on faucets.

Here is a refurbish project I did not too long ago. You can put a very very light coat of bioled linseed oil or lemon oil over the pieces to help keep them polished but youll have to do it again at some point. I don't bother oiling interior pieces.
Before:
p3200092-62550.jpg

After:
p3210097-62551.jpg

I personally would not use them. Star san is acidic and while diluted, I think it could eat through certain plated metals if given time.

I believe that it did eat some of the chrome plating off and left the bronze or brass (not sure which) but why would the be bad.

I can't imagine Star San eating the chrome off in just an overnight soak.

can I use keg lube on the O-rings to help it seal and move easy?

Keg lube is food grade I believe. I hope so at least... You can use it on the orings however I would use a very minimal amount. You can buy separate pieces for those faucets to rebuild them. Your lhbs may even have them for a reasonable price. If you are paying more than $3-4 however it may not be worth it as you can get cheap chrome taps for $15 or so.

Sometimes turning down the serving pressure will solve cheaper leaky faucets. That works well as long as you have a dual reg where you can carb beers at one pressure and serve at another. It's a hassle imo otherwise.

Back