Disadvantages of Re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screech

Reaction score
So I was just reading up on how to re-use your yeast and I was just wondering what the disadvantages are, if any? Are there off-flavors? Also, is it possible to add too much yeast to a batch? From what I have read you can reuse yeast for about 5 batches. This could potentially save me a great deal of money over time, especially with liquid yeast costing about $7 a pack.

Kevin

I just use fresh yeast and make a really big start, then hold some of it back

Also, is it possible to add too much yeast to a batch?

Possible? Yes, but you almost have to work at it. Too much yeast will mean that you don't get some of the esters and flavor profiles that are built up by the yeast going through generations & reproduction.

Read up at www.mrmalty.com for a pitching rate calculator that will tell you how much to use based on batch size, Original Gravity, and age of your re-pitched yeast.

As for possible disadvantages -not many. If you pay attention to sanitation & pitching rate - you are 98% of the way there.

Good luck with it.

The main disadvantages come from poor yeast handling. If your sanitation is not good, your re-used yeast could potentially also contain bacteria and/or wild yeasts. Each time you re-use them, the population of these unwanted microbes get bigger and, instead of saving money, you've lost money because of a bad batch of beer.

Back