Directions said not to use airlock for 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthej

Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed a Blue Moon type of beer and noticed that when I added the liquid yeast, the directions then said to leave the airlock off for a few days or an explosion will occur.

I have always put the airlock on immediately after the yeast and was worried I am doing something wrong.

Is this ok to do?

How about bacteria getting into the wort?

Thanks!

Jeff

Im new to brewing, but I believe the first thing HBT members taught me was ... throw out the instructions in beer kits.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew (RDWHAHB)...:mug:

What they mean is with a Hefe Weizen/Wit-style brew there is usually, but NOT ALWAYS a violent initial fermentation. The reason for no airlock is because they want you to use a blow-off tube. This is a larger diameter hose that the kreusen (foamy yeast head) can pass through versus the relatively small opening on the bottom of the airlock.

If you have plenty of headspace in the fermenter you usually do not have to worry about a blowoff tube. I've brewed about 30+ Hefe Weizens and I don't use one. ;)

There's no need to worry about bacteria getting INTO the beer because it is continually outgassing which is heavier than the outside air.

if you're concerned about it and don't have the stuff for a blow off tube, sanitize a piece of tin foil and place it over the hole. maybe tape down a couple of sides to keep it from blowing away. I can't remember the last time I used an airlock.

Honestly, if you're worried about it, put an airlock on until you see signs of fermentation. Once that airlock starts bubbling, go ahead and take it off for a day or two, give it a bit of an "open air ferment". Unless you have a lot of bugs (the crawly/flying kind, not the beer souring kind) in your fermentation are, nothing is going to get into that beer once it starts rocking. Once it slows down you can go ahead and throw the airlock back on there.

Covered well, but my two pennies.
I would go with a blow off tube for the first 5 days, then throw on the airlock.

Covered well, but my two pennies.
I would go with a blow off tube for the first 5 days, then throw on the airlock.

Yea, but there's alot of critters in Hawaii! Just kidding, there are critters in my cellar also, I'd probably do the same. Keep on brewin!:ban:

I use a blowofftube for the first week in an alepail, or cover the mouth with sanatized foil with a carboy. Airlocks can pop out like a cork when they clog and build backpressure.

Back