Direct fired MT -- Stirring vs Recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterscelter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a direct fired keggle mashtun for my brews -- typically 10G batches, but some times 5G. I've been experimenting lately with ways to maintain temperature and do stepped mashes. up until now I have heated my strike water in the MT, doughed in, mashed for 60 to 90 min (depending on the recipe) and then performed a single batch sparge -- typically with no mash-out. The MT loses a whole lot of heat during the mash. wrapping in insulation typically helps with that some, but I want better control.

I've started direct firing to maintain temps, all the while stirring like crazy to prevent scorching and to keep temps even throughout. I have also played with recirculation. Eventually I plan to install a HERMS coil in my (new to me) HLT. but until then I'm left with a nagging question.. if I'm direct firing the MT during the mash to maintain temps and/or to raise temps for a stepped mash, do I need to stir the mash or is recirculation good enough?

Recirculation is fine. I have a direct fired mash tun on my converted keg RIMS system. You can maintain good temperature, run step mashes, and mashouts with heat+recirculation. I prefer this method over HERMS; It saved me some equipment (herms coil and another pump), and my runnings are always crystal clear.

How are you measuring your mash temperature? I have a 4" thermometer in a weldless bulkhead near the bottom of the tun. Based on that thermometer, I lose 5-10 degrees over the course of a 60min mash. If I stick my 10" portable thermometer directly into the mash over the same 60min, it says I am not losing any heat, or maybe just a degree or two.

Recirculation is fine. I have a direct fired mash tun on my converted keg RIMS system. You can maintain good temperature, run step mashes, and mashouts with heat+recirculation. I prefer this method over HERMS; It saved me some equipment (herms coil and another pump), and my runnings are always crystal clear.

How are you measuring your mash temperature? I have a 4" thermometer in a weldless bulkhead near the bottom of the tun. Based on that thermometer, I lose 5-10 degrees over the course of a 60min mash. If I stick my 10" portable thermometer directly into the mash over the same 60min, it says I am not losing any heat, or maybe just a degree or two.

I have a 6 inch bulkhead thermometer at the level of my ball valve (right above the bottom seam/skirt on the keggle) and I put a 10 inch dusk thermometer in at the top. The top one never agrees with the bottom one and both show a loss over the mash.

This is why I'm looking for better control. I figure my may temps are literally all over the place depending on where in the keggle I measure.

Back