Direct fire rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I am almost finished with my single tier brew stand which is a direct fired rims. I am curious what people are using to recirculate. Should I just set the recirculating hose on top of the grain bed or use some type of sparge arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have RIMS setup that since the death of my heating element (blew the GFCI break when she went) has become a direct fire system. I can't just walk away and do other things while its mashing, but I am pretty good at controlling the temp with gas now.

All you need to do is set the hose on top of the grain bed, HOWEVER, be very careful with the flow rate. The slower the better. You don't want a trickle, but a slow flow is best I found. Letting it go full bore will extract tannins from the husks, or at least, it does with my setup.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00055683/k-G1419381?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CM_OmqSg1bwCFYdgfgodci8Auw

I went with this as it's height adjustable and the version I got is food grade...$20 shipped and it was here quickly (I ordered from the factory website).

Like you I am finishing up my RIMS system as well (two tear, gravity fed to boiler with a single SS Chugger pump for both RIMS recirc. and sparge duties), my biggest issue with the mash was a height adjustable solution. I plan on doing both 5 and 10 gallon batches (my system design can accommodate both) and I wanted something that was versatile and this fits the bill PERFECTLY!

I have seen those and they look good. My only issue is I'm trying to get completely away from plastic. I know it's "food safe" but I wonder about it at 168 degrees.

I have seen those and they look good. My only issue is I'm trying to get completely away from plastic. I know it's "food safe" but I wonder about it at 168 degrees.

They use Acetal Copolymer which is food grade.
It apparently has an FDA food grade rating to 240F though I've also had a hard time finding the source.

I also use the loc line, in conjunction with the "loc-line circle flow nozzle" you can get on amazon for about $25... I like the setup a lot, the little nozzles can get clogged when first starting the pump but a few knocks from the mash paddle and they usually clear right up.

The Acetal Copolymer is used heavily for food grade, but I'm not certain about the 240F claims some have made...
The websites list "upper temperature range" for the loc line as 170F

The Sabco Brew Magic just uses a hose that sets coiled around the outside of the mash. They tell you to keep enough fluid on top of the grain bed to maintain a whirlpool which means the pump needs to be flowing enough too. You don't want it blasting out of there, just enough to keep the wort rotating.

I'd pick up a new heating element, I mean, restroom breaks are important!

Especially when you're over 50!!

All you need to do is set the hose on top of the grain bed, HOWEVER, be very careful with the flow rate. The slower the better. You don't want a trickle, but a slow flow is best I found. Letting it go full bore will extract tannins from the husks, or at least, it does with my setup.

I have not noticed this with my own beers, but then I've been brewing things lately that would mask astringency pretty well...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone link recirc rate and tannin extraction. I understood the keys to be pH and temperature...

If recirc rate affects tannin extraction, I'm going to have to play with my method and see if I notice a difference.

As it is, I prefer to recirc as fast as I can without sticking the mash. It seems to help me keep temperatures in the tun more even than if I go slowly.

I have not noticed this with my own beers, but then I've been brewing things lately that would mask astringency pretty well...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone link recirc rate and tannin extraction. I understood the keys to be pH and temperature...

If recirc rate affects tannin extraction, I'm going to have to play with my method and see if I notice a difference.

As it is, I prefer to recirc as fast as I can without sticking the mash. It seems to help me keep temperatures in the tun more even than if I go slowly.

I bet I BET...that you could probably examine this more closely under a different kind of lens. Think of sparging and the water flowing through the grains, the recirc almost does the same thing just in a different direction. I know Palmer recommends about 1 qt./min. and maybe, if you looked at that flow rate in a lateral fashion as it rotates about the mash tun as opposed to vertcial (the water flowing out of the mash tun itself), you might be able to use the scientific method to run a control experiment and then alter your flow rate/hose position/what have you to see exactly the level of tannin extraction.

As soon as I read your post, I became quite intrigued! Let me know if you research this further!

Latest posts

Back