Direct Drive Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxrob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished our new grain mill. Using a Monster Mill 3 with the stainless rollers and 1/2 drive shaft upgrade. We have the hopper extensions for our large 10 gallon batch grain bills. We are driving it with a 1/2 hp 1725 RPM motor through a 10:1 gearbox directly coupled to the input shaft using a Lovejoy spider coupling all purchased on ebay. Fabricated a nice handled cover to keep crud out when not in use.
GrainMillSide768x1024.jpg

The bucket shelf has a guide to center the bucket under the bottom of the mill. We used some H bracket brushes that we picked up from Grainger to guide the milled grain into the bucket. The frame is fabricated from TIG welded 1" square tubing. The upper shelf is 3/16 carbon steel and the bucket shelf is 11ga CS.
GrainMillBrushes768x1024.jpg

Wasn't really sure if 172.5 RPM was going to be enough but we are very pleased with how quickly the mill can crack open our grain mix. Plenty of power to fill the hopper and flick on the switch without a whimper. :rockin:

Very nice. I've been looking at ebay at similar motors. Mind sharing a link to where you got it? Specs for the motors and gear boxes are all over the board. So are prices. :)

Wow, great looking setup! You might want to consider putting on some side panels to enclose it so you keep the grain dust contained.

Dust? We are "cracking" our grains not pulverizing it to flour like our local home brew shop's ill-maintained mill did to our grain bill. With the RPM we are running it at and the grain brush guides that extend down into the bucket about half their length we have eliminated the Gold Medal flour dust. :D

Super nice set-up. Could you link or post the info on the gear box? One of the nicest mill automations I've seen here. I have the same mill and I'm ready for the switch it on and go. The old 1/2 drill isn't cutting it.

So now I won't be posting my ghetto, re-purposed desk cabinet, Harbor Frieght powered Crusher whenever it is completed............ :(

Nice job on the Mill station!

how about the gearbox? I'd really like to get this going as it'd be much easier than using a drill like i am now, but just am hesitant to spend a few hundred dollars on motorizing a mill since the drill does work...

Gearbox is a Dodge Reliance Tigear 56/133-10 with the mount foot removed. You are going to see them sell for $300 plus out there but just keep looking. I got mine lightly used for $99. Here's one:

https://www.nriparts.com/power-tran...-gear-58-in-58-in-068hp-101-56c-gear-reducer/

Super nice set-up. Could you link or post the info on the gear box? One of the nicest mill automations I've seen here. I have the same mill and I'm ready for the switch it on and go. The old 1/2 drill isn't cutting it.

Thank you! I've posted info above. Don't give up looking for one that is reasonably priced. There might be a china copy available out there somewhere?

Back