direct-connection keg post to faucet for serving carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm still looking around for a way to serve foam-free beer from a carbonated keg, without a bunch of line and a picnic tap

Does this exist? I'm confused by all the products, and the reviews. Some say it works, others get all foam. I see ball-lock disconnects with flow-control, QD-to-faucet couplers, flow control faucets. Some reviews claiming the coupler need to be modified to accept a FC faucet shuttle

It seems you need SOME flow restriction to pour liquid instead of foam, and the traditional way is using the line length. But is there a disconnect that provides enough flow restriction internally, that is doesn't need any line length?

If it's cold, you can use something similar to this.
However, cold (what temp) with what vols CO2 desired, means a certain pressure is required, typ 8-10psi, which might blow beer a bit fast out this guy. I use them all the time, but sometimes must PRV release a bit of keg PSI so I am not sending it out too fast, which causes turbulence in the glass and foaming and general hilarity all around if the keg is really pressurized, AKA "beer eyebrows".
1623259633654.png

If it's cold, you can use something similar to this.
However, cold (what temp) with what vols CO2 desired, means a certain pressure is required, typ 8-10psi, which might blow beer a bit fast out this guy. I use them all the time, but sometimes must PRV release a bit of keg PSI so I am not sending it out too fast, which causes turbulence in the glass and foaming and general hilarity all around if the keg is really pressurized, AKA "beer eyebrows".
View attachment 731766

I don't mind pulling the PRV to release head pressure

is that this coupler?: Corny Keg Disconnect Faucet Adapter | MoreBeer

and a normal non-flow-control tap?

That is one part of the three you need.
You also need a faucet, into which the large end threads, and a MFL quick disconnect, onto which the small end threads.

I like the ones that have internal springs, especially when I have a keg of root beer that the kids enjoy playing barkeeper use.

There's just nothing stickier than a stream of root beer flowing on the floor when someone doesn't close the tap handle.

Ok, sugary wort boilover is slightly worse.

I like the ones that have internal springs, especially when I have a keg of root beer that the kids enjoy playing barkeeper use.

There's just nothing stickier than a stream of root beer flowing on the floor when someone doesn't close the tap handle.

Ok, sugary wort boilover is slightly worse.
haha I gave my kids free reign on the seltzer tap so no sticky mess if they leave it open

I am really not sure what the design flaw is, it works as advertised, I have 2 of them. However a lot of people tried to use them in kegerator with beer tube after it, which is not what it is designed for as it already reduces flow heavily. Maybe they are doing another design for use in kegerator that does not reduce as much, or allows more adjustement. If you use it directly off of keg with faucet connected to it, it works well!

I am really not sure what the design flaw is, it works as advertised, I have 2 of them. However a lot of people tried to use them in kegerator with beer tube after it, which is not what it is designed for as it already reduces flow heavily. Maybe they are doing another design for use in kegerator that does not reduce as much, or allows more adjustement. If you use it directly off of keg with faucet connected to it, it works well!

well that's good to hear - wish I could buy one!

Both Perlick and Intertap versions shown. Use the cheap Chinese coupler shown which allows full shuttle movement. Most do not allow full shuttle movement, this one does. I JB welded the back connection solid to reduce issues, you can see the line of epoxy between the two pieces. The return spring is a must, I used some stainless Grolsch swing top metal for the rear spring riser. The return spring is stainless. The front connector ring is a medium size keychain ring. Works best at 9-10 psi, good clean pour once adjusted properly.

Last edited:
I'm just sayin with all the Grölsch bails, band clamps, velcro straps making a hella-beautiful portable genius-ness, surely you could have done some paper clip/duct tape/dental floss/McGiver drip tray as well.

...with mini-peltier cooling something

...solar powered

...and flow measurement wifi Google sheets integration

Portable too - here is my office keg with earlier version return spring before I figured out the stainless version:View attachment 731861

An office keg, brilliant idea.
Just what everyone needs, seeing that makes me feel like a slacker, gotta step up my game.

Although at my old house, I did have a three tap kegerator in my office.

Last edited:
I just got one of these for my bday and I want to use on my keg.What’s the serving pressure. I see some people use as little as 3-5PSI I usually bottle so Kegging is not my strong suit. Another question is if serving pressure is 3PSI do I have to force carb with 3PSI? Or can I force carb my keg for 24 hours at 30psi then for 3 days @ 10PSI? When I release the PRV and recharge with 3PSI for serving will the beer be flat or will it be fine? Again Kegging has not went well for me in the past so I usually bottle.

I usually add 4 to 4.3 ounces corn sugar to the keg and let it sit in a cool room for a week or so to carbonate. I’ll use 15 purge cycles to clear the headspace of oxygen. Naturally carbonating also helps scavenge oxygen. I then lager the kegs about 3 months at 34F, inject gelatin along the way, then they are ready to go.

I was going to condition with sugar but figured I will try force carb again. I’ve just had bad luck with carbing a in the keg.

After seeing Beermeister32’s set up in a different thread I wanted one for myself but I went cheap with an Amazon set up
C18E6E0F-9463-45F8-9A09-6717AE049252.png
it works ok but having a hard time getting it balanced, I usually run around 12 psi in keg @ 35 degrees but even with the tap having an adjustable setting it still foams pretty bad at the pour no matter how low it’s adjusted , I still end up having to reduce the gas regulator down to approx. 6 psi and then release keg pressure thru PRV to get a decent pour which defeats the whole set and forget method I was wanting in the first place..
another thing about this cheap tap is they say it’s stainless but it’s NOT , the internal parts are chrome plated and after only a few uses you can already see where the plating is starting to wear off , do yourself a favor and buy a good tap from the start.

Back