Dippah - Single Hop DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenite

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Balanced DIPA with a nice lingering bitterness.
[size=+1]14-C Imperial IPA[/size]

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 266.02 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.079 (1.070 - 1.090)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.020 (1.010 - 1.020)
|=======================#========|
Color: 11.27 (8.0 - 15.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 7.86% (7.5% - 10.0%)
|==========#=====================|
Bitterness: 147.7 (60.0 - 120.0)
|===============================#|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lb Caramel Malt 20L
3.0 lb CBW® Golden Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract)
3.5 oz Cascade (7%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
3.5 oz Cascade (7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3.5 oz Cascade (7%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
3.5 oz Cascade (7%) - steeped after boil
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
2.0 oz Oak Wood Chips - added dry to secondary fermenter

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.7[/size]

Notes:
Add the oak chips to the primary after fermentation is completed and allow one week on the wood. I used medium toast American.

This beer needs about 5 weeks in the bottle before it is really worth drinking. If you are kegging it be patient and let it condition.

You could probably use any hop for this, I like the flavor with Cascades and would probably also do it with Amarillo.

Another idea would be to buy a full pound of hops and dry hop with the remaining 2oz, though I didn't do it so I can't say what it would add.

I think it'd look better and certainly less confusing if you separated the malts from the hops.

Other than that, this looks like a very flavorful and solid brew, one of which looks to be easy to make.

Incredibly easy to make and really tasty.

The formatting is just the way BeerTools laid it out and it won't let me edit the initial post to adjust it. I'm actually going to be brewing an all-grain version of this shortly.

Incredibly easy to make and really tasty.

The formatting is just the way BeerTools laid it out and it won't let me edit the initial post to adjust it. I'm actually going to be brewing an all-grain version of this shortly.

Well be sure to equip us with a tasting review, and pictures, if you have any.

All-Grain brewing can have the most variety in pertinence with distinct flavors in your beer; personally, I'm a Partial Masher myself: just the way I work... if it's anything more than 11 lbs. of malt, I'll usually just print it out from my hopville account, and give it to someone with a stabler income to try and pull it off. Sometimes letting other people brew the beer your designed is better for me, anyway, because I have a lot on my plate to do.
Damn - I just realized how damned lengthy this response is - sorry, I guess I just don't know when to shut the hell up. ;)

Back