dipa hop scheduel help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased some random ( fruity) hops and wanted to try and put them in a hopefully killer DIPA the recipe is as follows
9# light dme
.25# white wheat
.25# red wheat
.5# carapils
.25# crystal 20

2oz galaxy
1oz comet
1oz rakau
1oz green bullet
1oz Motueka
1oz Nelson sauvin

Wyeast west coast ipa yeast

IMO you might need almost double that for a DIPA, but I think it's cool you have all those southern hemisphere hops! From what you have I'd say bitter with comet and 3-4 oz at flame out, 3-4 oz whirlpool and 4-5oz dry hop. Again just from a guy who likes his hops.

IMO you might need almost double that for a DIPA, but I think it's cool you have all those southern hemisphere hops! From what you have I'd say bitter with comet and 3-4 oz at flame out, 3-4 oz whirlpool and 4-5oz dry hop. Again just from a guy who likes his hops.

+1
I bitter for 60 min then the rest of my additions are at flame out and steep for 30 min. Then dry hop your secondary or keg or Both

If you had to make a hop schedule what would you use and when ? I figure galaxy and green bullet at 60 but not sure what to use at flame out and dry hop and if I should add any 30 or 10 min additions , I can also get as much hops as I need

Thats all up to you. Im not familiar with most of these hops.
Heres my 10g DIPA hop additions.
2oz Bravo-60
2oz Bravo-30
2oz Simcoe-flame out(steep 30min)
2oz Mosaic-flame out(steep 30min)
2oz Citra -dry hop secondary 10days
2oz Mosaic -dry hop secondary 10days
2oz Citra-dry hop keg
2oz Mosaic -dry hop keg

I was recently told by another homebrewer (someone MUCH more experienced than myself), that he is in LOVE with Galaxy hops, and recommended them as a nice substitute for Cascade. The others sound delicious, but I have no experience with them.

What are you predicting the OG to be? I think your hop amounts look very good, but it would help to know how much of a malty backbone you anticipate having.

Not too specific, but I like to add a healthy dose of bittering hops at 60 minutes, then at 10 I start making more additions, then at 2, then at flameout. I also really like to dry hop with about 4 oz of something like cascade or centenial, but sounds like I may be trying out some Galaxy on the next IPA. Hops aside, if you don't think about the amount and quality of head (comments expected) then you are wasting all of those aroma hops. Make sure you figure that into the equation, i.e. you grain bill.

Doesn't Wheat usually helps with head retention? I will be kegging this anyways . And I believe the abv will be about 7 1/2

Latest posts

Back