'Gnomish Alchemy' what the heck would this fall under as a style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werner

Unsettling Evil Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tiny back story, was given a challenge to make something utilizing the Cooper Real Ale kit 'must use what's in the can' as the only rule, decided to go just completely random and fruity, extract based, but not really sure where this would fall as a style...

- Coopers Real Ale kit
- 1oz Fuggles Hops
- 500g Belgian Wheat DME
- 500g Dark DME
- Kveik yeast (of unknown providence from my LHBS)
- ~1Kg of Frozen 'berry blend' (Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)

20 min boil on the DME and hops in 2Gal of water, then tossed in the fruit and the extract kit stirred for 5 mins to heat that stuff through and kill any random stuff that might have somehow hitched a ride, and added water to 5.25Gal. Chilled it down and pitched the Kviek.
OG was ~1058 and color I'd guess at around 25 SRM (Ruby leaning to dark brown) maybe a bit darker with a deep red hue (kind of looks like dark cherries).

I tasted the wort going into fermenter and it is kinda like a fruity mild IPA wort. I'm hesitant to call it an IPA as its only 2oz of hops and doesn't really follow any of the other characteristics of an IPA.

Name is because it we are doing tasting throw down the same day my gaming group is going to be getting back together post summer and really what else would you call a recipe tossed together with random ingredients.

Anyway, how the heck would you classify this?

Using BJCP 2015 - category 29.

FRUIT BEER The Fruit Beer category is for beer made with any fruit or combination of fruit under the definitions of this category. The culinary, not botanical, definition of fruit is used here – fleshy, seed-associated structures of plants that are sweet or sour, and edible in the raw state. Examples include pome fruit (apple, pear, quince), stone fruit (cherry, plum, peach, apricot, mango, etc.), berries (any fruit with the word ‘berry’ in it), currants, citrus fruit, dried fruit (dates, prunes, raisins, etc.), tropical fruit (banana, pineapple, guava, papaya, etc.), figs, pomegranate, prickly pear, and so on. It does not mean spices, herbs, or vegetables as defined in Category 30, especially botanical fruit treated as culinary vegetables. Basically, if you have to justify a fruit using the word “technically” as part of the description, then that’s not what we mean.

Back