Dip tube stuck in liquid out post. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poopsmitherson

Reaction score
I got a new ball lock keg as a gift the other day, and when I took it apart today, I found that the dip tube was firmly stuck in the liquid out post. Ive tried pulling on it with quite a bit of force and can’t get it out. It’s as if it got pushed in too far somehow and the o-ring is preventing it from pulling out. Anyone have any thoughts on fixing this issue without replacing my post/dip tube? Pulling by hand just isn’t doing the trick and I don’t want to end up bending or damaging the dip tube.

can you take a few photos?

how are you pulling on it have to tried push it up from the inside.

realistically there are only 3 ways it could get stuck 1. Manufacturing defect. 2. the out dip tube has a little bump on it that slides in a groove on the post. It may have been jammed in the wrong way. 3. the oring is fused between the pieces.

realistically there are only 3 ways it could get stuck 1. Manufacturing defect. 2. the out dip tube has a little bump on it that slides in a groove on the post. It may have been jammed in the wrong way. 3. the oring is fused between the pieces.

I’ve been pulling by hand because I’m scared to use anything like a wrench to get a better grip. Trying not to break my new toy.

I could take a picture, but it’s almost impossible to see up into the post even in person. So I can’t imagine it would help. But best I can tell it looks like the o-ring is stuck above the post threads and wedges in their pretty tightly. I’ve tried twisting it as well and it won’t budge.

I stuck my used kegs when i got them upside down in almost boiling water with some oxyclean for 45 minutes each. It helped me alot getting them apart. Once they cooled down everything came apart easier.

Last resort, spray some wd40 or other oily penentrant on there and hope it breaks up whatever seal has been created. The o-ring really should slide off if it's somehow gotten down below the keg post.
Might work. I’ll keep it in mind after trying some other things. Will PBW properly get that oil off though? Don’t really want WD40 in my keg pieces.

Might work. I’ll keep it in mind after trying some other things. Will PBW properly get that oil off though? Don’t really want WD40 in my keg pieces.

When I get food trucks or semi trailers that haul food, wd40 is a no go. We use a silicone spray on them when fixing anything that might come in to contact with food.

From what i have learned. (older and wiser brewers can input more) I use silicone spray, then clean with dawn dish soap. Then use either oxiclean or or PBW to remove that. But I have been told I am ocd on cleanliness before.

I got my first kegs last month so my experience is mainly from a mechanic stand point on them .

When I get food trucks or semi trailers that haul food, wd40 is a no go. We use a silicone spray on them when fixing anything that might come in to contact with food.

From what i have learned. (older and wiser brewers can input more) I use silicone spray, then clean with dawn dish soap. Then use either oxiclean or or PBW to remove that. But I have been told I am ocd on cleanliness before.

I got my first kegs last month so my experience is mainly from a mechanic stand point on them .
The food safety aspect was my biggest concern here for sure. Seems iffy at best.

Take a handy, semi clean 5 gallon pail, put some hot water and PBW (or Oxyclean free) in the water. Remove the keg lid and as much of the hardware as you can, then place the keg upside down in the bucket and let it soak. The hot water and cleaner should break up the syrup residue that's gluing things together.

Take a handy, semi clean 5 gallon pail, put some hot water and PBW (or Oxyclean free) in the water. Remove the keg lid and as much of the hardware as you can, then place the keg upside down in the bucket and let it soak. The hot water and cleaner should break up the syrup residue that's gluing things together.
It’s a new keg. No syrup reside.

What I would try is a small flat heat screw driver, and pry it underneath the dip tube oring (between the o-ring and threaded part welded to the keg), and then rotate it each way to see if you can get it to push up enough to dislodge the o-ring and the dip tube. Start with a small jeweler's, and then work up if you need to.

Alternatively, you can try using a rubber mallet and just hitting it down a few times to see if the vibration can cause it to dislodge.

Are you trying to pull the tube from the outside? Have you tried reaching in the keg and force it out with your hand?

Are you trying to pull the tube from the outside? Have you tried reaching in the keg and force it out with your hand?
The dip tube is not stuck in the keg. It’s stuck in the post just below the poppet. Or maybe my terminology is wrong, but it’s stuck in the portion that I’ve screwed off.

I ended up taking a picture just because several people seem to be confused as to what I mean when I describe *where* the dip tube is stuck.
u7OT

...and it won’t insert for some reason. Here’s the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/u7OTE

If I were faced with that, I'd put a Quick Disconnect on it to give me a better grip, then try to wiggle it out of there.

You could also use a Vise Grips on it if you have one, gripping on the wrench flats. If you have a vise, that would be even better--chuck the post in the vise and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.

I understand the desire to get a new toy up and running... But if you start using vise grips or a bench vise to get the dip tube out, you may crush/bend it or damage the post. Then you're hosed with trying to get a return or exchange from the vendor if you're unable to resolve the issue. Also, given it's new, not sure what soaking in hot water & PBW/Oxy would do but it's worth a try. I would shoot the vendor an email and request an exchange. Then stick to the least extreme methods to try and pull it out.

As to the cause, I'm wondering if the dip tube is too long so that it's hitting the bottom of the keg?? When they tightened down the post, it jammed it up in the post. Which may have caused damaged that needs to be replaced anyway.

I understand the desire to get a new toy up and running... But if you start using vise grips or a bench vise to get the dip tube out, you may crush/bend it or damage the post. Then you're hosed with trying to get a return or exchange from the vendor if you're unable to resolve the issue. Also, given it's new, not sure what soaking in hot water & PBW/Oxy would do but it's worth a try. I would shoot the vendor an email and request an exchange. Then stick to the least extreme methods to try and pull it out.

As to the cause, I'm wondering if the dip tube is too long so that it's hitting the bottom of the keg?? When they tightened down the post, it jammed it up in the post. Which may have caused damaged that needs to be replaced anyway.

When I was loosening the post, the dip tube was scraping the bottom of the keg (since it’s stuck in the post, it turned with it). I was also thinking the dip tube might be too long but I’m not sure. It seems to fit in the well/dip in the center of the keg, but it might not have been in the concave when they tightened it...the more I think about it, research, and get people’s responses, that seems the most likely cause. I might request a replacement anyway since one of my o-rings was shredded from the poppet spring hitting it, so I guess whoever assembled these parts was less than careful. I know o-rings aren’t expensive but it’s brand new, so I pretty much refuse to buy new ones myself on principle.

I understand the desire to get a new toy up and running... But if you start using vise grips or a bench vise to get the dip tube out, you may crush/bend it or damage the post. Then you're hosed with trying to get a return or exchange from the vendor if you're unable to resolve the issue. Also, given it's new, not sure what soaking in hot water & PBW/Oxy would do but it's worth a try. I would shoot the vendor an email and request an exchange. Then stick to the least extreme methods to try and pull it out..

He doesn't need to crush it in the vise, just hold it tight enough that he can wiggle the dip tube side to side.

If it will fit in a freezer or fridge, try that. Maybe the contraction of the different parts will make them separate.

Probably what's happened is the diptube wasn't in the correct orientation with the end in the lowest part of the keg. So the top of the dip tube was up 1/2 inch higher than it should have been, and now the flare at the top of it is wedged into the post threads. If that's the case, it might be easier to unscrew the post from the dip tube. Clamp the tube in a vice and use a wrench on the post.

That picture clarifies things. Didn't know it was a new keg.

If the dip tube is wedged in there so tight that it won't wiggle out, I'd wager that it wasn't assembled right and there's now damaged parts. Contact the vendor about a return/replacement.

that is an interesting bind. Not at all how I pictured it. my guess is the way it was assembled the top of the dip tube got compressed to the point that it flattened out and wedged itself in there.

I would contact the vendor with the photo. My guess is if you could put the post in a vise you could wiggle it out.

When that happens to me, I push the poppet with a screwdriver till it all pops free, rest the edge of the disconnect on a piece of 2x4.

This is what I would try. Find a socket that fits over the dip tube and whose diameter allows it to rest on the bottom of the keg connector. If you have a vise then I would put the dip tube with the socket facing down and resting on the connector. Cover the vise jaws with a rag to keep from scratching the dip tube. Then loosely place a pair of pliers on the socket, (not touching the dip tube) and give the top of the pliers a rap with a small hammer. If you don't have a vice then you might be able to lay it on a bench and hold the dip tube while using the hammer. My father was a mechanic all his life and I have seen this method of using a socket to free lots of things that are stuck.

A bit of information that hasn't been offered yet: the liquid dip tube is not straight. It's bent a bit so the inlet sits in the deepest part of the keg quite close to center. I suspect the tube became stuck when the post was screwed together in the originally assembly, and either the tube was a hair too long or the flange was mis shapen, or the flange caught on a burr in the post. Since it's a new keg I would first contact the retailer you purchased from and ask to exchange the entire assembly. At this point you have no idea exactly what has been damaged, and once you have applied excessive force it will become impossible to separate what was damaged at the factory from what you damaged. I bet they tell you to discard the entire thing and ship you a replacement.

Back