Diluting during primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cooked last night and caught my 5 gal scottish ale bubbling up a storm this morning. But it's a little hot, and I want to cool it down and bring up the volume. I don't think diluting with about 0.5 boiled/cooled water would be a bad thing, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had any important input before I do.

Not it wouldn't be a bad thing but it would change the bitterness:maltiness ratio of your beer. Why not put it in a cold part of your house for a while? Or, you can do the swamp cool technique by putting your fermenter in a bucket, filling the bucket with water, covering your fermenter with a shirt to act as a wick, and hitting the thing with a fan.

You might also want to start investing in parts to make a fermentation chamber out of a fridge or freezer. Here's mine. I did it on a college budget for about $50

0615112320.jpg

Not it wouldn't be a bad thing but it would change the bitterness:maltiness ratio of your beer. Why not put it in a cold part of your house for a while? Or, you can do the swamp cool technique by putting your fermenter in a bucket, filling the bucket with water, covering your fermenter with a shirt to act as a wick, and hitting the thing with a fan.

You might also want to start investing in parts to make a fermentation chamber out of a fridge or freezer. Here's mine. I did it on a college budget for about $50

Well I'm also worried I may be a little less than 5 gals considering how full my 5 gal fermenter is (i need to mark it at a precisely 5 gls...). I got a really low yield last batch, so I want to make sure I get near 48 this time. I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. That's good advice though, I do tend to have problems/anxiety attacks about the temperature of my batches lol. And a fermentation chamber like you have there is definitely on my homebrewing wishlist. That looks awesome.

Back