Digital temperature readout (not control)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmeister

Reaction score
I'm looking for a temperature probe with a smart looking digital readout. I simply want to see what the temperature in the keezer is. I have another device to control the temperature, but it has an ugly display.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Craig.

yikes...
Temperature accuracy: ± 1 ℃ (-20 ℃ ~ +80 ℃); ± 2 ℉ (-4 ℉ ~ +176 ℉)

yikes...
Temperature accuracy: ± 1 ℃ (-20 ℃ ~ +80 ℃); ± 2 ℉ (-4 ℉ ~ +176 ℉)

That's what you get for cheapz temperature probes. Personally, I find it unnecessary to get down to half a degree accuracy. If you Fridge/freezer is within about 2 degrees of something, your tongue is not really going to tell a difference.

sure for serving, but for fermentation 2 degrees is a bit much. I agree though, hard to argue when you're paying a dollar.

Interesting, but I would prefer LED (bright) readout. By smart I mean nice enough to build into my keezer, which will live inside the house. Does not have to be the most accurate in the world, but 1 degree would be preferred. F required. Switchable would be a bonus. This is not for controlling the temperature, I use a Ranco controller for that.

For those who searched ebay, what search terms did you use ?

Thanks,
Craig.

You are more likely to find a what you want in a vfd (vacuum fluorescent display) than LED. You basically want something like the ebay aquarium temperature controller minus the temperature control and plus Fahrenheit readout?

For those who searched ebay, what search terms did you use ?
search exactly what you want.
Protip: Quality of search results is inversely proportional to the grammatical correctness of your sentance. Aka: More and better =/= mo betta.

Just be succinct - some ideas to try:
- lighted temperature probe
- backlight temperature readout
- lcd temperature

those are good search terms. Look within those to find what you want.

Use the ranco to in another project such as a HERMS or RIMS build and get yourself a Love controller. Nice, big, glowing display.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/TemperatureIndicators/Digital/SeriesTI

TI_PIC-1.jpg

also available in Fahrenheit - image is "C"

Protip: Quality of search results is inversely proportional to the grammatical correctness of your sentance.
that's funny, right there...

ive been looking for the exact same thing i think... still havnt found exactly what i want. for the price of the above Love display, i can buy a PID controller and just use the display part of it.

i just want a panel display that will read a pt100 thermocouple and display the temp for less then the price of a full on controller with all the extra functions i dont need....

I'm in the middle of a build and needed the same thing. I found this on the Dwyer website. It comes in black, which matches what I need and is cheaper to boot (~$16). It is solar and battery powered. My current plan is to solder in a 3V dc power converter on the battery terminals, so I never have to open the back up to change the battery.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Thermometers/Digital/SeriesDRFT

^^ not bad, but I wish that it didnt have an integrated temperature probe. otherwise- thats a good price and does what im looking for.

^^ not bad, but I wish that it didnt have an integrated temperature probe. otherwise- thats a good price and does what im looking for.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the integrated probe myself, especially because it's a thermistor. But it should arrive at my house tomorrow and I can build out my temp control box.:ban:

I'll try to remember to post a brief review on this thread once I can test it out a bit.

ive been looking for the exact same thing i think... still havnt found exactly what i want. for the price of the above Love display, i can buy a PID controller and just use the display part of it.

i just want a panel display that will read a pt100 thermocouple and display the temp for less then the price of a full on controller with all the extra functions i dont need....

Pt100 and thermocouple are mutually exclusive. Pt100 is a resistance temperature detector that has 100ohm at 0C.

the way they measure temperature. search rtd vs thermocouple on this site or on google. there are several write ups that explain the differences - you need a display capable of handling your sensor.

A question for the electrical gurus out there.

This unit specifies 12-36V DC; 50ma. What are the chances a 12V 300ma source (old cell phone charger) would fry it?

Unit is: http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-DC-Temp...838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a56802126

12v 300mA is the maximum output of the cellphone charger. that means it will run anything that uses between 0 and 300mA (at 12v). since that controller only uses 50mA, and anywhere between 12 and 36 volts, it will work fine.

Looks like the cell phone charger will work, so I'm going to go ahead and get one. I'll post here when I get it and let y'all know how it works and what it looks like.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Back