Digital temperature probe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornholtz

Reaction score
I want to build several digital temperature probes and don't want long wires permanently connected to the sides of the tanks.

I'm going to be connecting several temperature probes to a Raspberry Pi to monitor and log the temps.

Since the Dallas DS18B20 uses 3 pins I thought it would be good to have the probe connect to the pi with phone connectors (TRS).

What do people think about this approach? Will this work?

Here's a little more detail of what I had in mind:

Stainless Steel 1/2" NPT Thermowell - From about $13

Dallas DS18B20 - $1.49 each

female TRS connectors - about $1 each

1/4" Male TRS to 1/4" Male TRS - Varies depending on length needed.

On the Raspberry Pi side I can solder all of the connectors together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was worried about grounding too and thought about the 4 wire cables that are used with mic and stereo headsets.

I like these ham radio connectors because someone isn't going to accidentally plug the wrong thing to something that looks like a headphone jack.

The cables at monoprice are dirt cheap. Any recommendation for what to use for the actual cables? I suppose something heat resistant would be good but more expensive.

My plan is to have little radio PCBs plugged into the DS18B20s with 3.5mm jacks.

My plan is to have little radio PCBs plugged into the DS18B20s with 3.5mm jacks.

Ooh! That sounds shiny and exciting! Can you elaborate a bit more on how you hope to do this?

And how many sensors do you want to be running simultaneously?

So, I have designed a little PCB around a MSP430 micro controller which will plug onto a NRF24L01+ radio module. One board per DS18B20 plus one extra board as a "master" which gathers the information and forwards it to an Arduino running Brett Beauregard's PID library. The remote sensors use very little power - I am hoping to run them using Lithium coin cells. Each board will cost about $10 to make, the thermowell is about $10 more. I'm planning to make 3 or 4 initially. It's not my highest priority though so I don't expect to have it up and running before the summer.

I use RJ-11 phone cord because they're easy and securely snap in and I have plenty of old phone cords around to cut a end off of. I'm told you can also splitters and daisy chain multiple sensors together but I haven't tried that.

XLR's are very good for PT100s because the wires are shielded. Not really necessary for digital probes but nice all the same.

Back